Guide for a Apple Noob: The Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by opinioncircle, Aug 11, 2009.

1. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

hey guys,

I just came home with my whole new shiny uMBP, and I am having some issues.

First I downloaded VLC media player and the .DMG file couldn't be installed for some reason. Could y'all help a MR bro out ;D?

Second, I don't understand my battery at all. Using the advice from the Genius, I plugged in the battery right off the bat for 20 minutes. It was all charged up and I removed the plug. But the time was 3.30. Now, it says 5.12 (I've been using the battery for like 20 minutes). It goes up and down and can't really determine if some is wrong or not.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if it's already been asked, but I'm an apple noob :D

OC

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The battery estimator will go up and down depending on usage. It's dynamic and reports in real time. If you're just idling, it'll go up; and likewise, if you're doing CPU intensive tasks it will drop.

As for your VLC issues, make sure you downloaded the newest version and just try again. The download may have been corrupted. Also, if you're in a limited access account you may have issues installing certain software.

Also, you don't install a .dmg. You mount the .dmg file, which will result in a disk drive icon being added to your desktop. From that drive, you'll then transfer the VLC program to your Applications folder. I'm not sure if that was part of your issue, but that's how installations work in OS X.

3. opinioncircle thread starter macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Thanks I appreciate it. I sort of figured for the battery, I installed Coconut battery just to get more info.

Regarding vlc i think it's more of a update problem. i didn't update the system from the start, so i guess it'll be all fixed when it's updated and all...

but props to you and thanks ;D