Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
nvidia firmware chips are usually too small and require soldering new one

there is no special method for flashing nvidia in mac pro, just do it in windows

rom file is from quadro 4000 mac card, try searching netkas.org for it

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Does this mean it's possible without soldering? Is there a guide out there with instructions?

Cindori means that there's no special method for getting the ROM image on to the ROM, whether the ROM is big enough to accept the image is a different matter.

Videographer

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been looking at Netkas.org a bit and can't find a straightforward guide on how to do this. I'm not terribly advanced at this so I'd love to see a step by step how-to if there is one.

Or if it's simple just spell it out for my ignorant self.

Thanks!

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well as mentioned before, you'll first need to solder a bigger ROM chip in place of the one that's already there. That's the hard part. These are surface-mounted chips and you need special tools and the technical expertise to do it properly. This has been a common problem with flashing NVIDIA cards since the GTX 285, unfortunately. The Rominator (I think he still hangs around at netkas) knows how, but he's based in LA.

The flashing itself is the easy part. But you have to do this in Windows because NVIDIA cards get flashed with a tool called nvflash and a Mac version of the tool does not exist.

If you're looking to build a Resolve system (and presumably make money with it), you'll have to ask yourself if the DIY approach is even worth considering. A paid job or two would easily make up for the difference in price. Also, consider used Mac GTX 285s. These work very well with Resolve, too.

Videographer

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
You're right about the DIY approach when it comes to soldering, Chunk. That's not a battle I want to fight. If it was as simple as flashing though I could handle that.

I'll probably go for the Ebay offer on the 470 then. Thanks for your help guys! :D

ORTOX

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Hey videographer,

did you go with the gtx 470?

I just installed one in my mac pro 1,1 and got it to work just by installing the ATY_Init.kext with ketx wizard. Works great in Mac os x and windows bootcamp.

jejes

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I have one GTX470 with ATY_init kext from Netkas but in Profile Graphics info only shows a bit info not the complet info, and shows invalid RAM 512MB. But when i try GPUsniffer from CS 5.5 it shows correct.

Which version of ATY_init do you have installed ??

Send me your email a PM and i ask for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.