Guide for making a MBP sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toxthexnines, Jan 17, 2008.

1. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Does anyone know of any good guides for making a sleeve for a 17inch MBP?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

1. Locate wallet.
    2. Remove credit card.
    3. Click here.
    4. Buy.
    5. Open package.

Conversely, if you really want to make your own aesthetically displeasing one, click here.

3. toxthexnines thread starter macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I have a laptop bag for it but its a bit too bulky for most situations. Most sleeves are a bit expensive, and im pretty crafty and im going to try that guide to see how it turns out. But im going to try to make mine a little better looking.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd be interested to see how it turns out. You should post your creation here. It could be inspiring to others... :)

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Shouldn't be too hard. There's basically 2 aspects of a sleeve:
    1) Prevent scratches. So uh, could be cloth...velvet, velour, I dunno, frankly anything that prevents random small things from scraping the case.
    2) Shock/impact protection to prevent against shocks/drops. For this you need something spongy to absorb energy. So could be bubblewrap, memory foam, neoprene. Basically anything soft and spongy.

1+2=protection.

6. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I have a MacCase for my 15" MBP and it has some good features. It opens from the side. There is a velcro piece that wraps over the end of the computer and attaches on the bottom. There are no zippers to scratch the computer. Here is the link to the website so you can see it for yourself. http://www.mac-case.com/index.html?gclid=CNOFqqCs_pACFQ66PAodPzP12w Good luck!

7. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

If you need something for scratch protection (say you carry the MacBook around in a backpack), try a small pillowcase ;)

I find that a pillowcase from airline pillows are a perfect fit!

8. toxthexnines thread starter macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I'll post some pictures up when i get started. I just got back from Hobby Lobby, i picked up some thick fabric thats really soft for the inside of the sleeve and a simple plain black fabric for the outer part. Im going to try to make it this weekend.

9. meagain macrumors 68030

Cool - Looking forward to seeing the pics. Good luck!