*GUIDE* High resolution Youtube videos and Safari.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eagandale4114, Jul 13, 2012.

1. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Unfortunately YouTube downgraded all their 4K videos to 2K. However they are still labeled as 4K.
    Also resolution are you playing it at? I highly doubt that the high res videos are pixelated.

2. pacman7331, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Kinda confused,

Mostly because the menu that is supposed to show by hovering over the top left corner in the 2nd to last picture as in your guide is not popping up for me, or the right clicking on the video in the last photo, and also my video player looks the same as in the first photo after I installed the ClickToPlugin extension and set it according to your photos.

Edit: ok I noticed the menu will actually show in he first few moments when the page is loading the video, but then the video loads reverted to the original player like in first photo and the menu no longer shows on the left ...

3. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Sorry for a very late reply. The same thing had happened to me.I checked that youtube had reset my HTML5 settings. Go here and make sure that you are NOT in the trial.

4. arbitrage, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

arbitrage macrumors 6502a

This has happened to me now too. I had it working from your original post but now can't get the player back. I've checked the Youtube settings and confirmed that I'm not in the HTML5 trial so I don't know what else to try??? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks. I was really liking the way it was working before and now it sucks!

EDIT: I was able to get it back but I had to reinstall flash and then the clicktoplugin works just fine. With flash fully uninstalled it tries to load and then Youtube loads its HTML5 player instead.

5. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

In the time between your original post and you edit I was reinstalling the plugin myself. Was going to suggest that you do that to. Try keeping clicktoplugin updated.

6. simsaladimbamba

I strangely have the problem of not getting into the settings of ClickToPlugin 2.7 in Safari 5.0.5 (should I update?) on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Am I doing something wrong?
    [​IMG]

7. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

If you are on SL, Click to flash may work better. Safari 6 doesn't support it and thats why I didnt add it.

8. pikkashoe, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

pikkashoe macrumors regular

Ok for some reason when i try to run the rapture video, it just stays there saying its loading.
    How long should it take to long, or is there a problem I am running into.
    Its been loading now for five minutes.

9. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Screenshot?

It should load immediately.

10. pikkashoe, Aug 16, 2012

pikkashoe macrumors regular

Im new to macs, how do i grab a screen shot.

If i try to download the video it tells me i dont have access to it.

11. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Command+shift+3 will screenshot the entire screen.
    Command+shift+4 will allow you to screenshot a particular section of a screen
    Command+shift+4+space key will allow you to screenshot an open window of any app.

Also I posted a link to a video at the very end of the guide showing it should look if everything worked out

Please take a screenshot and post new post of the threat. There is no need to continually edit your posts. It makes it easier to follow.

12. pikkashoe macrumors regular

Hate to be so naive, im a windows guy, but after I take the screen shot, what do I do. Sorry for the extra hassle.

13. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm really looking forward when everyone upgrades their buttons, logos and other non-text graphics... Text looks amazing, but everything else kinda sucks.

Do you think companies are pushing to get it done fast? Does Apple inform the larger corporations about changing these kind of things?

(I'm not under the assumption everyone wants to make everything looks great for a retina device, but it's in their best interest.)

14. eagandale4114, Aug 16, 2012

eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

After you take a screenshot it will be saved to your desktop.
    Then when you want to upload it to MR, go to the additional options box right under the submit reply button. Click on manage attachments. Click choose file. Choose a file. Your screenshot will be on your desktop. Then click upload.
    Then submit your reply.

The ipad rollout happened relativly fast as it was a huge market. As apple is way ahead of the curve here and the rMBP is a minority system in a minority OS updates may tend to take time. Although it is a big selling point for new users if they must choose between two apps that do the same thing if one doesn't support retina. Eventually we will see HiDPI screens on mainstream windows computers. Win 8 has some support. It will happen. When that happens we will see many more apps updated. Maybe some big companies *cough*Microsoft*cough* will provide support for ALL their apps. However for all of tis to occur someone had to start. It was apple in this case.

15. pikkashoe macrumors regular

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 6.38.40 PM.jpg
    its been loading for 10 minutes. somethings is wrong.

16. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Oh just press the play button. You may have set autoplay to off.:D

17. pikkashoe macrumors regular

LOL if it was that easy i wouldnt be on here.
    Nothing happens when I press play.
    I changed that setting you indicated (preload).
    So now it doesnt say loading, but when i press play, nothing happens either.

18. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

What happens when you set it to auto play. What is your default resolution? Try lowering the default playback resolution and trying again.

19. pikkashoe macrumors regular

Just set it to autoplay and nothing happens.

I lowered it to 720 and when i press play, nothing happens.

20. eagandale4114 thread starter macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

You mentioned that you could not right click and download. Could it possibly be blocked?
    This is another video that works in HTML5. [Ignore the comments. They make me want to smack something.]
    What happens if you play it.
    Can you play ANY other video on youtube?

21. pikkashoe macrumors regular

That video doesnt work either.
    Only way i can make them work is when selecting the resolution on the top left side, i select flash.

Not sure whats going on, but not going to worry about it.
    Oh well, thanks for the help though.

22. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I removed flash completely. I either change the identification string to iPad or use google chrome if it doesn't render in html5

23. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I absolutely hate ClickToPlugin (previously ClickToFlash), and avoid it like the plague. Does anyone know how to get HTML5 videos playing in QuickTime rather than with the default HTML5 player? As other users have posted, the HTML5 player stutters with high resolution (1080p+) videos.

Thanks.

24. ajriding macrumors newbie

I don't mean to hijack thread, but don't want to start a new one as there probably already ones I can't find...
    I can only play youtube, or other sites videos, in Flash, not mp4 at any resolution. I use Safari, or Chrome, but Chrome does not let mo hover and pick. Safari is my most used.
    How can I play mp4 without downloading the video?
    thanks

25. Valkyre macrumors 6502

aside from youtube is there another place were you can download some 4k videos?