Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brett1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I just figured this out, and it seems that many people want to get custom backgrounds on their iPod but they either don't or can't SSh/SFTP into it. Sorry if this is old news, but I figured this out myself and wanted to let everyone in on it.

Requirements:
-Jailbroken iPod Touch (I'm not sure about iPhone as I don't own one)

Step1: Install SummerBoard
1: Go into installer>Install (at the bottom)>All packages
2: Once in all packages, scroll down to SummerBoard
3: Install SummerBoard

Step2: Install a SummerBoard theme
1: Click the "Install" Button at the bottom of of the screen
2: Scroll down to where it says "Themes (SummerBoard)
3: Download any theme in there, it doesn't matter which one

Step3: Changing the Theme
1: Goto your SpringBoard and you will now see "SMBPrefs"
2: Click that, and then hit Themes
3: Click on the theme you installed
4: Make sure the "Wallpaper" option is ON
5: Click "Restart SpringBoard"

You will now see that you have a new background picture. You want to make this one your own, so we are now going to put your picture as your background :)

Step4: Getting your background
1: Goto installer
2: Click uninstall
3: Find the theme that you installed
4: Uninstall your theme
5: Exit installer, and you will see that the picture you have set for the "Slide to unlock" screen is now your background!

Step5: Using ANY photo on your ipod as a background!!
1: Simply goto Settings>General>Wallpaper
2: From there, you will see Apple wallpapers or if you have photos on your iPod, your photos.
3: Choose any picture form Apple, or any picture from your ipod, and set it as your wallpaper.
4: This will now make your background the picture that you selected!

And voila! Custom background without a PC!
Sorry this was such a long guide, I just tried to make it as simplified as possible. It works though, and its very easy, just a long tutorial lol.

Have Fun!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Wait, are you telling me there's no way to change the background on the iPhone/iPod touch? :confused:

Brett1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
When summerboard disables the wallpaper, it goes back to the default black one. With my method, you can put it to any picture on your ipod and switch it at any time. Plus, you don't need a PC

hecks

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
When summerboard disables the wallpaper, it goes back to the default black one. With my method, you can put it to any picture on your ipod and switch it at any time. Plus, you don't need a PC
Nope, not here it doesn't. If you have 'Wallpaper' enabled (under Advanced in SMBPrefs) but 'Theme Wallpaper' disabled, it displays the unlock screen wallpaper.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I fail to see why this is news at all

what you really need to do is impress me by changing your wallpaper without summerboard

Brett1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I fail to see why this is news at all

what you really need to do is impress me by changing your wallpaper without summerboard

Well I didn't know that you could use summerboard to do this, so stop making a big deal of it.

ttocsp

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
how do you get the wallpaper photos on your computer?

I found some really awsome pictures and I will be really disapointed if I cant use them for anything else.
please contact
ttocs_p@hotmail.com

thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.