Guide: If you want to sell your current iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Jun 7, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Obviously, the two places to try selling your iPhone, is eBay, and Craigslist.

Craigslist is self explanatory. Local only.

As for eBay, here are some tips:

1) eBay is going to be flooded with iPhones. To get yours to stand out:

- DON'T do a Buy It Now Auction. You could get more than what you were wanting.
    - DON'T do a reserve. If you do, put it at only $150, not to high.
    - DON'T start out your auction too high in price. .99 - $9.99 is the best place to start
    - DON'T GET WORRIED if your auction is still at .99 cents and there is only 4 hours left. It SHOULD and there is a 95% it will jump up in price.
    - DON'T use the default eBay iPhone image. Take your own picture.
    - DON'T make the auction long and steal stuff from Apple's website.
    - DON'T say why you are selling it. In this case, that rule applies.
    - MAKE SURE you try selling worldwide.
    - MAKE SURE you list all the details of your iPhone.
    - MAKE SURE you say what you used your iPhone mainly for.
    - MAKE SURE you sell your iPhone unlocked regardless.
    - MAKE SURE you use PayPal only.
    - MAKE SURE to say all accessories will come with the iPhone, unless you don't have a certain item.
    - MAKE SURE you say "Fast Shipping"
    - MAKE SURE you pack your iPhone in a strong box, and around it put paper, bubble wrap, or anything to protect it from the box walls. About 1-2 inches away from the box walls are perfect. A 6x6x6 box is perfect.
    - MAKE SURE you try to price your iPhone on the cheap side. In my opinion use:
    4GB: $250
    8GB: $300
    16GB: $350

Of course, give or take a bit, but remember eBay fees are a little over 8% of the final auction price.
    - MAKE SURE to use a great title, such as:

"Apple iPhone 16GB BRAND NEW! - Unlocked - Any GSM"

When i sold iPhones, i liked this one the most.

As for shipping, use USPS for both domestic and internation. It's the cheapest and gets there fast.

Shipping in the US:
    - Use priority 2 day shipping with $400 insurance. It's cheap and quick. It's about $15 on average nationwide to use this method.
    - You can't track the phone online. You have to go into a USPS store and do it there. It's because of security reasons, but you can buy delivery confirmation which is cheap. You put in the tracking number on the website, and it says if it was delivered or not.
    - You don't have to worry really. USPS does a great job like any other popular carrier, and if something does happen during shipping, USPS will cover it.

Worldwide:
    - Avoid anything to do with Nigeria, Vietnam, India, or anything weird. I probably got over 200 messages from these stupid scammers on eBay. These scammers get into peoples accounts, and message you saying to ship to somewhere else like out of country, when the eBay account is in the U.S.
    - MAKE SURE to ask your buyer about customs, and to mark it as $50 or gift so they don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get the iPhone.
    - If they need it quick, they need to buy UPS shipping, which is like $100 to ship. Otherwise, use USPS which can take anywhere from 5 days - 2 weeks to get to customs. Shipping to Europe is around $25-$30. I'm not sure about the rates to anywhere else, but that is where i sold the most iPhones.

I know there is a guide already, but this one is short and too the point, which covers everything i learned from my experience.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

one thing I always do is make it a requirement for the buyer to have a Paypal account before bidding on your item. This will at least somewhat protect you from all the scam artist out there..

3. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Very good points. You got cats on CL trying to sell refurbished iPhones for $400 and better and then you got cats trying 4GB iPhones for $300.

5. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

thank you, but did you have to quote the whole thing ;)

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I shouldn't have done that ;) After I read that I decided to go to CL and look for a 8GB iPhone. Struck gold and got a cat selling a 8GB iPhone for $350. Tryna do $325 or $300. Thanks for inspiring me to go to CL ;)

7. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

8. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i sold my used 8gb iphone on ebay with 'buy it now' at $415. sold in an hour.

could i have gotten more? yeah, probably. but i got back what i paid for it. i'm happy and ready for 3g.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I copped a 4GB iPhone via CL yesterday for $250. Can't complain and I love the iPhone and I sold my Blackberry last nite :D

10. BrittQ macrumors regular

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Nick,

Awesome Thread!

I would also recommend that the seller have a way to "stop shipment" and get it returned to him/her. Even if it's headed to the UK or Australia, you should have the option to stop shipment and have it returned to you. I know I've had second thoughts on something I've sold and sent it to an address that could not be confirmed, so I was willing to pay the shipping and insurance to stop the shipment and have it returned to me. Turned out that the PayPal payment was not legitimate, so it was extremely helpful to have this option available to me. PayPal was the one suggesting "stopping shipment" and getting my item returned to me. :eek:

12. werkedm3 macrumors member

Have a good feedback score, or find someone with one. My account is new since I never use ebay, and I forgot my old one. I just tried to sell mine on ebay, the person had a NY address so I thought it was cool. Finally get a "payment confirmation" that was clearly a paypal ripoff (still had their hush.com domain in the email), and they wanted me to send it to nigeria (not a country I listed I would ship to). I can only suspoect this happened because my account is new to ebay. Oh well, I have someone lined up today to sell it to local so I'm good.

13. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

14. vega07 macrumors 65816

sold mine on CL for 370. 8GB.

I think I could have gotten more. oh well...

15. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

good job. im still holding onto mine for now.