Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Q: Where is my Camera Roll?
A: Camera Roll does not exist in iOS 8

Q: Where are all my recent photos?
A: Your recent photos are in the Recent Photos Tab

Q: What happened to my Photos which are not in the Recent Photos Tab?
A: They are still on the Phone

Q: I had 400 photos but recent tab only shows 70, where are the rest?
A: Look in the Photos Tab in the Photos App.

Q: But the apps cannot access this Photos Tab, how do I make them access it?
A: Go to Photos Tab (Collections) , Chose the Photos or the Moments you want to have instant access to and chose the share button the top right for each photo or moment, then press Save (X) Images where X represents the number of photos you chose or in the moment. The Photos will save in your Recent Photos folder at which point they will be instantly accessible by all apps.

Q: But it won't let me add Moment Photos to my recent Photos. What do I do now?!
A: Here is the strategy for that. In the Albums Tab, Create a New Album based on the Photos you are transferring. then Enter the Album and Press Select on the Top right hand side. Now at the Bottom of the App, Press ADD. This will take you to a subscreen where you can select any moment. Chose your moment by Pressing Select on the top right hand of each moment. This will Select ALL the pictures in the Moment. Now press DONE. This will add all the moment photos in the Album you have just created. This album will be accessible by all apps for sharing, editing etc.

Q: But what if I had more than 1000 photos , didn't photo stream have a 100 picture limit?
A: Apple lifted the 1000 Photos limit. Make sure you have photostream checked in the iCloud Settings.

Q: I simply want it to revert back to what it used to be, What do I do?
A: Contact Apple support for this at https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Q: Why did Apple do this?!
A: In iOS 7, you had the Camera Roll and Photo stream which had a limit of 1000 photos. The flaw in this design was that even photo stream photos were saved locally so if you had a photo in both photostream and camera roll, you had 2 duplicate photos hogging up space, this is why Photostream took up so much space on your phone. To get rid of this Apple has tried to streamline the process by having your most recent photos in the Recent Photos Tab, your shared folders in the shared tab and your 'backup' photos which are older than your recent photos or are from a phone migration readily available in the Photos Tab. This Photos Tab essentially combines the Photostream and Camera Roll in One and allows you access to save these photos on your phone if you want to.

Q: Why Can't apps see the Photos Tab photos?
A: Apps have to support the Photos Tab and iCloud Drive. meanwhile the apps that you want to share can be saved in your recent photos so they can be used. In time a few months down the line Apple believes this process will be better for the consumer

Q: Is there a way to Add Photos in Batches to the iCloud?
A: You can batch add photos and videos to iCloud Photos from your OS X 10.10 Yosemite computer using AirDrop. This will be enabled on the Photos app in an update as soon as the iCloud Photo service goes online

Q: What apps support sharing from Photos Tab? Contributor: menel
A: Apps which can see entire Photo Library:
Tapatalk
Snapseed
Colorsplash
OneNote
Instagram (yes but unclear, has full photo library listed as 'Recently Added')
PixlrExpress+
Ancestry
GMail app

Dropbox (no)
Twitter (no)
Skitch (no)
Photogene2 (no)
Photosync (no)
Google Drive (no)
OneDrive (no)
Pinterest (no)
Web Albums (Pixite) (no)

Last edited:

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Following these instructions on 4th gen iPad to test the Save option:
A: Go to Photos Tab (Collections) , Chose the Photos or the Moments you want to have instant access to and chose the share button the top right for each photo or moment, then press Save (X) Images where X represents the number of photos you chose or in the moment. The Photos will save in your Recent Photos folder at which point they will be instantly accessible by all apps.

I've selected the Photo I want (it's been on my iPad for a while so it's not in Recent album).
I have an "Add to"option when I select the photo which allows me to add to an album (or create one).
Pressing the share button instead just shows apps I can share to, etc. No Save (X) Images prompt at all.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
can't edit wiki???

Bold the question lines, makes them pop and gives separation.

Apps which can see entire Photo Library:
Tapatalk
Snapseed
Colorsplash
Dropbox (no)
Twitter (no)
Skitch (no)

----------

More:

OneNote
Instagram (yes but unclear, has full photo library listed as 'Recently Added')
Photogene2 (no)
Photosync (no)
Google Drive (no)
OneDrive (no)

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
This is extremely helpful, thanks!

The reason why you can make edits is because the '' text is just basic text entered into the title. This thread itself isn't an actual wiki.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009

I've selected the Photo I want (it's been on my iPad for a while so it's not in Recent album).
I have an "Add to"option when I select the photo which allows me to add to an album (or create one).
Pressing the share button instead just shows apps I can share to, etc. No Save (X) Images prompt at all.

So you go to the photos app, go to photos tab, go to the collection/moment you want the picture(s) to save from. select the little share link on the top right of each moment, chose the photos you want to save, and when you chose them it doesnt give you the option below to Save ALL? at the bottom of the share pop up?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
More good ones 2:

PixlrExpress+
Ancestry
GMail app
Pinterest (no)
Web Albums (Pixite) (no)

taking a break. Maybe the OP will fix his broken wiki

It's interesting, several apps that properly support full photo library, pre-date iOS8. And some that are post-iOS8, aren't.

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013

exactly the same for me, wtf is going on

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
So you go to the photos app, go to photos tab, go to the collection/moment you want the picture(s) to save from. select the little share link on the top right of each moment, chose the photos you want to save, and when you chose them it doesnt give you the option below to Save ALL? at the bottom of the share pop up?

Nope, no Save at all.
If I press Share, I get the sharing tab (Airdrop, Apps to share to, as well as icons for Copy, Assign to Contact, etc).

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Nope, no Save at all.
If I press Share, I get the sharing tab (Airdrop, Apps to share to, as well as icons for Copy, Assign to Contact, etc).

im in the exactly the same situation, what a farce this is, thought apple were supposed to make good software :mad:

chanc

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
I posted two points in this other thread which may help expand on the answers in the FAQ above.

Reposted below :

• Photo Stream remains in place and continues to work mostly the same as it did in iOS 7, although the separate “My Photo Stream” album no longer appears; Photo Stream photos are simply included in the main photo collection.
  • The old “Camera Roll” and “My Photo Stream” albums no longer appear. Since photos in both of these categories appear in the main “Photos” screen, the separate albums were somewhat redundant. Instead, a “Recently Added” album appears at the top showing all of the photos added within the last 30 days.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Nope, no Save at all.

You can choose to share to icloud. Share them, but don't invite anyone, into a new or existing icloud share. Apps pick that up fine.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Nope, no Save at all.

im in the exactly the same situation, what a farce this is, thought apple were supposed to make good software :mad:

Do you notice that ONE or More of the pictures in the moment or the selected picture has a heart outline at the bottom if you swipe through each picture?

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Yeah, that adds the pic into a Favourites album. Still no way of getting it into Recents.
Also, Evernote is an app that can't see anything apart from Photo Stream albums and Recently Added.
Guess we got to wait for apps ot catch up.

I guess it'll just take time to get used to.
No idea why there's no "Save (X) Images" as per OP.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
Do you notice that ONE or More of the pictures in the moment or the selected picture has a heart outline at the bottom if you swipe through each picture?

I'm having this same issue of putting pictures into the recently added album. I see the heart, I pressed it, and now it put them in a new album called "Favorites" in which I still can't access from whatsapp.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I'm having this same issue of putting pictures into the recently added album. I see the heart, I pressed it, and now it put them in a new album called "Favorites" in which I still can't access from whatsapp.

having a picture with a heart outline or filled heart means the picture is already in your recent photos tab. that means you have to chose the photos that doesnt include this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.