Guide on how to connect a hard drive to a computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Goddessofmoon89, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Goddessofmoon89 macrumors newbie

So I have the guidelines on how to remove the hard drive from my G4 iMac (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-12-Inch/Hard-Drive-Replacement/83/14/), but now I need help on how to go about the rest.

My problem is that I need to transfer the information from my old computer to my new MacBook, but the G4 isn't working. It has power, and the fan goes off, but the screen remains black. I know it's a problem with the motherboard and not the hard drive, so my information should be okay.

A few people have told me about removing the hard drive and putting in a case or slider? Or something like that? And then connecting it to my computer. I like to think I'm Mac savvy, but I have no idea how to go about that.

Do any of you know how to do that? Or do you know of any guides that can help me? I would take it to a professional, but they are charging an arm and a leg and I don't have the money right now.

And help would be appreciated! :)

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Have you tried using the iMac in Target Disk Mode?

As to an external case, something like this should work (I think all of the G4 iMacs use 2.5 drives, though if you go that route I would double check). The linked enclosure is just an option and not a "omg buy this" link.

It is as simple as putting the drive in the enclosure, hooking up the enclosure to your MB and powering everything on. Then use migration assistant or drag/drop files to your MB. The external should show as a HD on your desktop.

Edit: Target Disk Mode essentially turns one computer into an external HD for the other computer.

3. Goddessofmoon89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying so fast! Do I need to have my iMac on for the Target Disk Mode? It has power, but the screen remains black and the fans goes on and on and on. So I don't think I can actually activate the Disk Mode on the iMac if the computer in question isn't even working correctly. The MacBook is, and I can try there, but I'll need some walk through's, because I've never done any of this before.

Edit: That also reminds me. I don't have a Firewire cable. Where can I purchase one at a reasonable fee?

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The first article spells out Target Disk Mode fairly clearly. If there is a motherboard issue with the iMac then TDM will not work. I apologize as I forgot that in your OP you mentioned possible motherboard failure. If you want to try, read the link I originally posted, connect the Macs via a Firewire cable and see what happens when you boot the iMac into TDM.

The G4 iMac should have an 2.5 ATA HD, though I am not sure and a quick search has not yielded any results for me.

Edit: Just saw your edit. If you don't have a FW cable, you might as well get an HD enclosure and go that route as they typically have a short FW cable with them. For $40-$60 you can get an enclosure with a FW cable. Here is another external HD enclosure that is cheaper but just as good as the first one I linked. OWC can help you make sure that the HD enclosure is the right type for your iMac's HD if you decide to shop with them.

5. Goddessofmoon89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! The second link to the HD is much cheaper, yes, so I may go with that. Thanks a lot for all your help. :)