Guide to Adding ROMs for gsPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mrfishy, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mrfishy macrumors newbie

mrfishy

I was lookin' around and saw that a lot of people have problems getting ROMs on their iPods, so here's a guide. It's for gsPhone 1.5 or newer. EDIT: Though I don't know why you'd still be running 1.1.3, this works with 1.1.3 too (thanks Four20.).

1. Download an FTP program. Unfortunately I run Windows :( so I'll explain this from my point of view (yes, I know this is MAC rumors...)

2. Find your iPod's IP address. For this go to Settings>Wi-Fi. Tap the arrow next to the network your connected to. Write down your IP address.

3. Open your FTP program. Create a new connection. Type in your iPod's IP for the host name. For your login type "root". Your password is "alpine". Make sure the connection is SFTP.

4. Next download this file. It's the GBA bios you'll be using to run the games.

5. Put it in the gsPhone.app folder in the root/applications directory.

6. Go to /private/var/mobile/Media. Create a folder called "ROMs". Put all your ROMs here!

If you have any problems please post or PM me! Good luck!:)

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

Nice how-to guide

this will work on firmware 1.1.3 and 1.1.4

3. mrfishy thread starter macrumors newbie

mrfishy

Thanks!
    I bought my iPod with 1.1.4, so I didn't check it with 1.1.3.

4. dark-saito macrumors regular

Does anyone know if this applies to VBA (Visual Boy Advance) ROMs? i don't see how it would work but hey, people got World Of Warcraft to work on an iPhone so it could happen. Thanks in advance!

5. mrfishy thread starter macrumors newbie

mrfishy

VBA ROMs should be the same as any old GBA ROM, the ROM is just the game itself and VBA is a program to run the games, like gsPhone. So yeah, they'll work.
    Good Luck!:)

6. dark-saito macrumors regular

:'D SWEET! ...but I have 2 questions...

1) Will this in ANYWAY void warranty, or mod, hack etc etc my ipod?

2) ...In General how do the controls for ROMs on the touch work? A bit confused about how the screen AND the keyboard would show up.

7. mrfishy thread starter macrumors newbie

mrfishy

Dark-Saito:

(I'm assuming you've already jailbroken your iPod)

1) Well, considering you've already jailbroken your iPod it shouldn't change anything. Normally you wouldn't have FTP access to a non-jailbroken iPod. However, since you'll be putting ROMs on your iPod, your warranty could very possibly be voided if you use ROMs of games you don't own. Just jailbreaking your iPod shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't download the January Software Update from the Installer without paying for it. Just make sure you restore your iPod to remove the jailbreak before sending it in for customer service if you break it.

2) The controls are set up exactly like a GBA SP. The older versions had the game take up the whole screen with a controls a semi-transparent overlay. The only complaint I would have is there is no "tactile feedback." What I mean is you can't feel the controls. This takes a little getting used to, but shouldn't really be a problem. If it really bothers you, this site has a guide on how to make a tactile feedback "hack" for the NES program that could also be used for the gsPhone program.