Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Everyone knows customize doesnt work for 1.1.3, well it does, but its not reliable. One of the biggest things i know bothered me was the inability to change my system sounds. Well after messing around on SSH and doing some google research, i got it. Navigate to the following file while SSHing:

System/Library/Audio/UISounds

UISounds houses every sound your phone makes, with the exception of a dropped call. Here you can download all the files to back up as a just in case and get to it.

The easiest thing to is to download your old customize folder, as this folder has all the audio sounds on it already in the format we need.

The format of the files in UISounds is .caf. Any audio file you put this folder has to be a .caf else it wont change a thing. The easiest way to do it is to change a .aiff to a .caf. On a mac, just simply change it by renaming the file, then adding the .caf. For windows, I believe you would click properties and rename the file type. Either way, you need to use a .aiff.

If you have MP3 sound affects, simply put them on iTunes, and go to your preferences and set to burn as an AIFF file. Make an album of the files you want and burn them onto disk. They will then be on disk as .aiff's. At which point you can rip them off the disc and start renaming the files to place in the UISounds folder. If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask. I am sure a lot of other people are knowledgeable in the area of SSH and renaming files to different formats. Let me know if anything

sva

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Wales, near England.
Thanks for that.

I used it to change one of the SMS notifications, however, is there a way to change the name of the old file to reflect what the new sound is?

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Thanks for that.

I used it to change one of the SMS notifications, however, is there a way to change the name of the old file to reflect what the new sound is?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, could you be more descriptive?

sva

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Wales, near England.
I am not sure I understand what you are asking, could you be more descriptive?

I replaced sms-received6.caf with another file, that works great.

However under Settings > Sounds on the iPhone that file is named "Electronic", is there a way to change that name to better reflect what the new tone is?

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I replaced sms-received6.caf with another file, that works great.

However under Settings > Sounds on the iPhone that file is named "Electronic", is there a way to change that name to better reflect what the new tone is?

There should be, i just havent dug deep enough. I am sure one of the .string files has that, just have to figure out which one. I'll see what I can do. In the mean time, hope the sound change works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.