Guide to *optimizing* "Transmission" torrent app? (Oct. 2014)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Oct 12, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Hello. I am looking for a Guide to *optimizing* "Transmission" torrent app? (Oct. 2014)

I have seen a few mini-guides, but they seem to be made by 15yo's that are just YOLO-ing and putting in seemingly thoughtless values..

Is there any decent guide for how to optimize "Transmission" torrent app for OSX users?
    Preferably something semi-recent and relevant to current OSX Mavericks/Transmission..

Thanks! :)

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

The defaults should be fine. The BitTorrent protocol is pretty resilient and does a good job of making the most of any situation. People who mess about with maximum simultaneous connections or peers, really don't know what they're doing.

With the default settings, I can download Ubuntu or Elementary Linux isos at 11MB/s on my 100mbps connection. Just set a reasonable upload speed limit so you don't choke your connection.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

have you used Vuze? i recently made the transition, but i feel like i might like Vuze better.. i think i get faster speeds since there's more customization w/the settings.. using this site for guidance:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-vuze-speed.htm

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I used to use it, about 10 years ago, when it was still called Azureus and took about 5 minutes to open. Then, I switched to BitRocket, but that disappeared under a controversy about stolen code.

If you're looking for a simple BitTorrent client that downloads stuff, Transmission is the best you'll find. If you like the "everything and the kitchen sink" interface, stick with Vuze.