Guide to understanding Intel Temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luffytubby, Dec 2, 2013.

?

Do you feel your Macbook Pro's internal temperatures are too hot?

1. Yes, all the time, light or heavy usage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but only during heavy usage.

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. I'm Indifferent / I update so frequently / Am covered by Applecare / Don't care

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Other opinion

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. No, not at all. I find it to be normal considering the power inside.

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Guys, these forums have been fueled and fired up lately over discussions about temperatures. A lot of information is out there, and it's difficult to really get a clear sense of what is going on. While searching on the subject of appropriate Tjunction temperatures for mobile CPUs from Intel, I came across this interesting guide. It has some old info in it, but I think a lot of it is still relevant; http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-understanding-intel-temperatures/

Some interesting tibits;

I find it to be interesting stuff. The fact that a lot of companies still use the old values to measure temperatures also tell us why it's likely that manufacturers use these older parameters which is different from the temperature probe measurement variables used by programs like speedfan, true temps and istats.

This does not prove anything, I just found it interesting though I also find some of it hard to understand.
    Technology is an amazing thing. It really is amazing!

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

thanks for the read.

Personally I think it's about finding a compromise between heat and noise. Especially with the new retina Macs they did pretty good in that part (not very loud and sufficient cooling)

3. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

My 2.3GHz Haswell MacBook Pro runs cool to the touch. It's actually kind of creepy, considering what my 2012 first generation rMBP was like. CPU heatsink is at 32 degrees celcius while GPU is at 36 degrees. Not to mention its faaaaast. Loving it.

4. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Good for you man! I hope mine won't have bad temps!^^

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It must be the different CPU because my Haswell 2.6GHz CPU runs at about 40 and the graphics runs at about 45.

When I'm doing some heavy gaming ( World of Warcraft ) they go up to 70 and the fans speed up..About the same as my 2012 MBP.

6. Doward macrumors 6502a

Heavy load is where the manufacturing defects unfortunately show up.

In my opinion, Apple's current super thin-and-light obsession coupled with the profits they are generating selling on 'brand' vs 'substance' means we're simply not going to get a proper professional system from Apple, until someone puts out a truly competitive system and forces Apple to innovate.

7. red321red321 macrumors regular

I get 100 C + temps easily. I think this laptop runs way too hot. I've had to get a Cooler Master U3 for it.

8. Doward macrumors 6502a

I already went through all of this:

Yes, your MBP is running too hot!

And the solution:

9. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Would be curious to know what you're doing when the temperatures are at 40 degrees. When I have Spotify open with 20+ tabs in Safari, a couple of PDFs open in Preview and Microsoft word open I get 32 to 36 degrees for the CPU heatsink.

Does yours ever get lower than 40 degrees? How does it compare with the 2012 version?

I had to get an Air because I couldn't use the 2012 rmbp in bed or on a sofa because it got ridiculously hot. I was worries the same thing would happen with the 2013 Haswell but I found it's much much cooler than the 2012 version such that I can use it I'm bed and it doesn't get hot. When I'm playing YouTube videos, it does heat up to 39~45 degrees but it doesn't get as hot as the old one. I'm really satisfied with this machine!

10. red321red321 macrumors regular

11. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Thank you for the thread. A stark contrast to some recent threads that are mislabeled as facts, when in reality they are just opinions and misinformation.

12. Doward macrumors 6502a

Only if you break something. As long as you don't damage anything, your warranty stays intact.