Guide: Windows Boot Camp External SSD Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robertojorge, Sep 12, 2015.

1. robertojorge macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hey guys, so i have been using external USB 3.0 SSD´s to boot OSX for the past years on some of the machines that we had like the Mac Mini Late 2012 and the Imac 21,5 Late 2013.

One of the things that i wanted to achieve besides the OSX on external was to have Windows boot Camp on a external SSD and now i have it :) So im sharing this guide with the comunity.

The Guide has 3 Videos:
    1- Speed Test Results
    2- StoreJet 500 SSD Review
    3- How to Install Windows 10 on External SSD

Hope that this guide is helpful to some of you guys looking for a similar solution
    All the Best
    RJ

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Thanks for the guide. I had actually tried to make this work on my 5K iMac and it doesn't work, sadly. I'm able to install Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10 without issue on my internal disk partitioned with Boot Camp Assistant. But then after I use Winclone to copy it across to the external Thunderbolt SSD, it looks like it's booting (I get the Windows icon), but then it boots to a completely black screen with a cursor I can move around. Very odd. I can't do anything at that point.

Tried multiple times. I give up.

3. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hi William,

During the all process did you had any sd cards, USB hubs or any unnecessary peripherals connected?

I had a lot of issues, and just figured out that during the process we cant have anything plugged in.

What is the drive you are using out of curiosity. Is it the StoreJet 500? It should work on any thunderbolt but the only that i have tested was the StoreJet 500 so far.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Hey. Remember, there are no issues running Windows 8.1 externally, or internally, and Windows 10 boots just fine internally. It's just Windows 10 won't boot externally. No other external devices connected (I had read they can cause issues). It's a Seagate Backup Plus 2.5" enclosure with a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB inside.

5. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

That is curious!! Could you do one last test?
    Download the Win 10 image directly from Microsoft, and try the win 10 direct installation, just to be sure.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I already tried that. No dice. Installs fine on the internal, but won't boot the external clone correctly. No issues with Windows 8.1 on internal or external, so I've gone back to 8.1 for now.

7. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Ok, that's really weird. Have you tried on the Macbook Pro? What is your MBP model?

As i mentioned i have only tried with the StoreJet 500, but this should work with any thunderbolt Drive.

When you have some time try on the MBP (if possible off course).

In my testings:
    - It works on Thunderbolt 1 - Imac Late 2013
    - It works on Thunderbolt 2 - MBP Early 2015 (So it should work on the 5K)

It can be the Thunderbolt drive, unlikely but possible.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

I gave up, but thank you. Will stick with Windows 8.1.

9. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

I Understand William, but in a few weeks / months :) if you decide to give a shot on another machine as the MBP please let us know.

Thanks
    RJ