Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I have an external drive which i cannot copy to. It says "Cannot be Modified". I check disk utility and the "repair permission" is grayed out!!! Any solution to this?

kg1984

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Since installing Snow Leopard, some of my applications (Cyberduck, CSS Edit, Firefox but not Apple apps such as iTunes, iPhoto, etc.) have an "_unknown" user as having read & write access privileges, whilst my username has been removed from the Sharing & Permissions list.

I've tried running a repair permissions as mentioned in the first post, both in Disk Util and from the command line, but it hasn't fixed this.

I only noticed it because I've tried to install the latest beta of Cyberduck, which is compatible with SL, but trying to copy it (and replace the old version) brings up a permissions error.

How can I fix the permissions of these applications back to my username?

Thanks.

sprale

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Republic of Texas
You may need to try repairing the system when it's not booted. Try using Disk Warrior, or at least boot from the 10.6 disk and repair permissions from there.

saikaL

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
imac 24" Symptoms

Hello friends.;)
I got a really huge problem with my imac.
After
1. cleaning up the Documents folder (by moving all content to an external hard drive)
2. Repairing Permissions
I GOT:
1. A missing keyboard layout (it types glyphs)
2. Applications launch and then disappear.
3. If i try to move an icon on the desktop, it makes a copy of it.

When i boot in safe mode (by pressing shift on startup chime) i can type correctly and the system becomes stable. I did Permissions Repair /while on safe mode/ and it completes nicely... but when i restart (normal log in) the problem is there! I can't type, i can't move, my mac :apple: got useless! And the thing is that i am suppose to work on this mac tomorrow (for a big client). PLEASE, PLEASE.... HELP!! :confused:("voithia" as we Greeks say)

Thanks in advance
Dimitrios

rideincircles

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
I posted in the Darwin/BSD thread below, but how do I run it if it rejects my password? I can't get my OS X 10.4 mac mini to load OS X and it defaults to a blank blue screen or DARWIN/BSD login screen. I think I have got it to single user mode, but not able to do anything else past that without a working password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.