Guides, How Tos, and Tips for New Mac Owners

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors readers who were lucky enough to receive a new Mac for the holidays will want to check out our collection of Mac how tos and guides to learn the ins and outs of your new machine.

Whether you're new to the Mac or are upgrading from an older model, there's likely to be a useful tip or two here for you. These how tos apply to Apple's latest Macs, from desktops to notebooks, and it includes macOS Catalina tutorials.

Beginner Tips
macOS Catalina Features
Security Tips
Continuity and Other Product Tips
Mac App Features
iCloud
Hidden Tricks
Advanced Features

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Guides, How Tos, and Tips for New Mac Owners

Last edited:

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Where’s the link to: 15 Ways to Get Back at Uncle Colin for Giving You Last Year’s Model MacBook Pro with Butterfly Keyboard?

(I hate Uncle Colin!)
Came here looking for someone to be jaded or complain that Macs were too expensive to be Xmas gifts. Wasn't disappointed.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Great service from MR
... a subsidiary of Apple corporation?
- - Post merged: - -

Came here looking for someone to be jaded or complain that Macs were too expensive to be Xmas gifts. Wasn't disappointed.
Friends went into the local Apple store after the 16 inch was released and the salesman tried to sell them an old 15 in MBP instead. Sneaky, so I know this has happened to some people.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Joniz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Came here looking for someone who takes things much too seriously, or willing to attack with an unrelated point. Wasn’t disappointed.

(And I still hate you, Uncle Colin!)

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for this. I recently got a MacBook and coming from windows I was surprised how different it is.

bosatsu

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2015
Tokyo
Thank you for the effort of compiling such useful information!
Just a note about "How to Force Restart a MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro"

• If it's just an application that's frozen rather than the operating system, hold down the Option (⌥) key then right-click the offending app's icon in the Dock and select Force Quit.
I tried it on my MacBook Pro 13 (2018) macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (work device and they do not allow us to install newer versions) and the order is slightly different.

• First, right-click the offending app's icon in the Dock and then press Option (⌥) key, the last option "Exit" will change to "Force exit". Thought "Force exit" does not appear on all applications "like iMessages".
Best!

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Pro Tip: If you got a base model Mac Pro for Christmas, exhange it for a maxed out (except for RAM) 2019 iMac 5K and 32GB RAM kit from Amazon, and enjoy the couple thousand dollars you pocketed, the extra 8GB of RAM, the faster Vega 48 GPU, the “free” 5K display, the faster i9-9900K CPU, and the much larger SSD. Invest the money you saved and use it to buy another one in four years instead of paying out the butt to upgrade a base model Mac Pro that will still be stuck on old PCI-Express 3.0, Thunderbolt 3, and possibly USB 3.1 unless they allow Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to be upgraded to USB 4.

Otherwise if you got a decently spec’d Mac Pro then grats.

• Wow
Reactions: dantroline

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Where’s the link to: 15 Ways to Get Back at Uncle Colin for Giving You Last Year’s Model MacBook Pro with Butterfly Keyboard?

(I hate Uncle Colin!)
I love the butterfly keyboard. Millions of us do, actually.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
You realise USB4 is Thunderbolt 3, right?
That's why I said that. There has been no confirmation, however, that Apple will allow a firmware upgrade on those ports to enable USB 4.0 functionality (devices connecting to it will recognize it as such). It doesn't just magically become a USB 4.0 port because it has the same connector and bandwidth. However, I'm certain there will be a TB 3.0 to USB 4.0 adapter, though it will likely be expensive.