OS X Guild Wars 2 on iMac: Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gmhnyc, Feb 13, 2014.

1. gmhnyc macrumors newbie

just upgraded my 2009 iMac to a new 2013 model (3.5 i7 w/ gtx 780m). guild wars 2 ran OK on my old box on mostly low settings. its runs great on the new box except for one annoying issue. at what appears to be random times- the fans kick up to full blast. i've watched the CPU and temperatures and do not see any corresponding spikes. even on low graphics settings it happens. is this normal behavior for a high end card or did i get a lemon? any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

When you say max speed, what does that entail? Actual max speed? What's the RPM? I only have an MBP, but playing GW2, I have a stable fan speed that neither spikes n'or dips.

3. gmhnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

the fan spikes up to 2200-2600 RPM, but the CPU/GPU do not seem to have a corresponding change. it doesn't seem to happen consistently under heavy activity (WvW or zerg). i have noticed that it happens whenever i open up inventory tab and then if i switch to windowed mode - the fans drop immediately back to normal (1400-1700 RPM).

really takes away from my enjoyment of the game when my computer sounds like a jet plane. :-(

4. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

My iMac 2010 always goes full speed after gaming for a while, or watching a long youtube video/netflix. Full speed being 4000 rpm, and even on 3000 it sure does sound like a jet plane. Every Mac I've had has been totally similar, so it's normal I guess.