Guilt detector - how accurate can they make it?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News story

Researchers are trying to develop a passive lie detector that would study facial expressions, eye movement, and pupil changes in both visual and thermal spectrums to determine if someone feels guilty.

It's unlikely to be a panacea for the courtroom, or even job interviews, since it will never be foolproof, but it could be used to make initial guesses faster and more cheaply than by human screeners. That's why it's being looked at as a potential way to automatically screen for smugglers at borders. They say the technology may even have applications for computer gaming!

It's an interesting challenge to mix physiology, psychology, and computer technology and I wonder what the chances are that a passive computer-based system would rival the accuracy of predictions made with non-passive (wired) lie detector tests or those made by trained humans.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I'm so very sorry.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I saw the pupils in your avatar's eyes dilate slightly as you posted that, so you must be telling the truth. ;)

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While this is pretty cool tech, I'm wondering how many false positives such a device would generate. As a former customs officer I've interviewed a lot of people who were nervous/felt guilty for a wide variety of reasons (ranging from not knowing that I wasn't the toll booth, to not declaring the shirt they were wearing with the tag still on, to trying to smuggle drugs). There is also a lot more to take in than just facial expression; when it's all said and done this tech might be relegated to be an officer aid rather than an officer replacement.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Where's Doctor Baltar and his Cylon detection device when you need him.

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Solution for airports: Be a douchebag/Bono type of person, and wear tinted glasses or sunglasses all the time.

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

LOL. Great answer! :D

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And being them they'll make you take it off, so they can confiscate it. And sell it.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depends what type of system you're talking about. I assumed they'd use it on everyone as they pass a certain point along a corridor. Many airports already use some kind of imaging device (looks a bit like IR, but also like x-ray....never took a good look at them).

But if you're talking about using them at the baggage check and metal detector, then douchebags, even famous ones, need to take off their tinted glasses.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I should know better than to try to hide anything from Doctor Q. I am full of deep remorse for having even tried.

13. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier