Guinea Pigs!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Dec 8, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Okay, let's hear it for one of the cutest animals in the world!

[​IMG]

I really love Guinea Pigs. I had two guinea pigs awhile back and they were so awesome. I would just let them roam around the house or yard, and they would even eat dandelions, doing my yard work for me! :D

I was thinking though, would it be possible to get an ACTUAL guinea pig as a pet? You know, the giant ones in south america that actually have legs? I heard even in the wild they love when humans give them attention and they are bred there to be eaten, but would they make good pets you think?

Anyone else LOVE guinea pigs?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if they're cooked right. Typically you need to marinate them just so, before the flavors really pop :p

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

They do NOT taste like chicken. OBTW, the ones in South America are Capybaras.

4. Rt&Dzine, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

eeewww they look too much like rats for my taste.

6. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I love them very much. I have one at home and I consider it as a giant hamster.

7. tallguy macrumors regular

Who knows why but my brother decided to get two gerbils which do absolutely nothing except smell bad and cost money. They've been alive for over a year now so I think it's time for them to pack it in. Small rodents at pets = never again.

I'll admit though that guinea pig does look at lot more pleasant than the "rats" downstairs that we call gerbils.

8. rebeccamartin macrumors member

I love guinea pigs and would love to have one as my pet. but family will throw me out if i have one :(

9. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

They make a great pathology model for Argentine hemorrhagic fever.

12. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I just had an hour and a half conversation with a drunk guy about how guinea pigs are the best pet. He kept going on about how much they love you and how you can tell them anything. I told him they're a good food source because they grow quickly and can be kept in small areas. If you ever live alone in the woods take a couple dozen breeding guinea pigs with you.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My grandmother has always loved Guinea Pigs. They're as dumb as rocks, but can be very sweet little things. Given a choice, i'd pick a hamster, but that's just me. I've had a few hamsters over the years. My first one - and one of the sweetest ones we've had - died in my hands. I felt bad, but was glad she died with me, not alone.

My only real experience with guinea pigs as pets was one we had and it bit a lot. Musta got a lemon.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've had a couple friends over the years that have had these things and I couldn't stand them. I'm not sure if they were just "talkative" ones (that's what one friend called his) but they NEVER shut up.

16. rebeccamartin macrumors member

I have heard that guinea pigs breed very fast will put many small ones which will be difficult to handle. but over all they are very sweet, will listen to you nicely(provided they will not understand anything) :)

17. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Noisy Pets

You're right - these things squeal and whine incessantly; just try crunching cellophane and hear what happens!

No, it's rabbits for my kids (their first choices being venomous/poisonous reptiles, followed by large hunting dogs, then, finally, tarantulas).

After all, it's been said that if you pick a Guinea Pig up by the tail, their eyeballs will fall out!