Guinea Pigs!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Okay, let's hear it for one of the cutest animals in the world!

I really love Guinea Pigs. I had two guinea pigs awhile back and they were so awesome. I would just let them roam around the house or yard, and they would even eat dandelions, doing my yard work for me! :D

I was thinking though, would it be possible to get an ACTUAL guinea pig as a pet? You know, the giant ones in south america that actually have legs? I heard even in the wild they love when humans give them attention and they are bred there to be eaten, but would they make good pets you think?

Anyone else LOVE guinea pigs?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
They do NOT taste like chicken. OBTW, the ones in South America are Capybaras.

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
Who knows why but my brother decided to get two gerbils which do absolutely nothing except smell bad and cost money. They've been alive for over a year now so I think it's time for them to pack it in. Small rodents at pets = never again.

I'll admit though that guinea pig does look at lot more pleasant than the "rats" downstairs that we call gerbils.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I just had an hour and a half conversation with a drunk guy about how guinea pigs are the best pet. He kept going on about how much they love you and how you can tell them anything. I told him they're a good food source because they grow quickly and can be kept in small areas. If you ever live alone in the woods take a couple dozen breeding guinea pigs with you.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
My grandmother has always loved Guinea Pigs. They're as dumb as rocks, but can be very sweet little things. Given a choice, i'd pick a hamster, but that's just me. I've had a few hamsters over the years. My first one - and one of the sweetest ones we've had - died in my hands. I felt bad, but was glad she died with me, not alone.

My only real experience with guinea pigs as pets was one we had and it bit a lot. Musta got a lemon.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I've had a couple friends over the years that have had these things and I couldn't stand them. I'm not sure if they were just "talkative" ones (that's what one friend called his) but they NEVER shut up.

rebeccamartin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
I have heard that guinea pigs breed very fast will put many small ones which will be difficult to handle. but over all they are very sweet, will listen to you nicely(provided they will not understand anything) :)

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Noisy Pets

I've had a couple friends over the years that have had these things and I couldn't stand them. I'm not sure if they were just "talkative" ones (that's what one friend called his) but they NEVER shut up.
You're right - these things squeal and whine incessantly; just try crunching cellophane and hear what happens!

No, it's rabbits for my kids (their first choices being venomous/poisonous reptiles, followed by large hunting dogs, then, finally, tarantulas).

After all, it's been said that if you pick a Guinea Pig up by the tail, their eyeballs will fall out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.