Guitar Adapter

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Silvereel, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2010
    Has anyone had any experience with a guitar cord adapter, for iPad or iPhone? I'd like to connect my guitar to GarageBand, but I'm not sure which one I should get. I talked to a guy at the Apple Store, who showed me the iRig they offer, but said it might be a good idea to shop around first, since he didn't know much about it.

I've also heard people talk about using the iPad and an amplifier, using the iPad as a sort of universal effects pedal. I don't really know how this would work, though, since once you've got the iPad hooked in it seems like it's a dead end.
  2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2010
    Plano, TX
  3. firestarter macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    That 'build your own' solution is poor.

- The iPad microphone connector contains a small voltage to power microphones. An interface should filter this out.
    - Electric guitars need a very high impedance (1megaohm) interface to sound good. Hooking to a low impedance microphone port will kill treble.

iRig filters the DC power and also (I believe) provides a small amplifier to correct impedance - so it's definitely worth the extra.

There's an additional problem with the iPad mic/headphone connector that the iRig can't fix, and that is a roll off of bass below 200Hz. That's ok-ish for electric guitar, but definately bad for bass. The best option to record guitar into the iPad would be to get the Apogee Jam - which feeds unfiltered ausio into the iPad's USB port.
  4. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2011
    I have Griffin's GuitarConnect. it was i think $18 on amazon when i got it, significantly cheaper than the irig. i like it because the cord is longer like a guitar cord and it sounds great. i've used it with garageband on my ipad, and ishred, amplitube and ampkit on my ipod touch. all sound really good. i am particularly fond of ishred. you can play along with your music on your device. it's really cool. and garage band is awesome.
  5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2010
    Thank you for this very informative post. Do you happen to know if any USB audio interfaces like the Cakewalk UA-1G work with the iPad on 4.2 or 4.3? I'm am excited for the Apogee device, but really want something that also allows for input of a dynamic mic via an XLR cable (or XLR to TS or TRS adapter).

Any recommendations?
  6. firestarter, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    There are some excellent forums over at 'Harmonicdog' - who for some time have been selling the 'Multitrack DAW' product for recording on the iPhone/iPad.

This thread on their forum discusses all the interfaces and some home brew solutions people have found to get audio in. Lots of good information: