Guitar-Computer Cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jvhowube, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. Jvhowube macrumors member

    Aug 11, 2006
    hey guys

    what kind of cable do i need to be able to plug my electric guitar into my mac? i'm trying to take advantage of the new garage band that they just released in iLife. thanks for the help.
  2. iMouseHD macrumors regular

    Apr 19, 2007
  3. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

    Apr 3, 2006
    Beacon, NY
    If you're using a computer with an audio input jack you could use this
  4. morphineseason macrumors regular

    Apr 1, 2007
    That will probably work best. Otherwise just try using a regular guitar cable with one of those headphone jack-sized adapters attached to one end.

    Also, if you have a Macbook, iBook, iMac (or basically any of the non-pro computers) you'll need the Griffin iMic (adds an audio-in jack using an available USB slot). That can be found here: or you can find them for about 10 bucks cheaper on eBay.

    edit: nevermind about the iMic. You have a Macbook Pro. You're good to as far as the audio-in is concerned.
  5. thesdx macrumors 6502a

    Jul 12, 2007
    I'll be returning my Lightsnake soon. HORRIBLE sound quality, tons of latency issues, and a loose connection. The thing was broken the minute I got it. :mad: I've heard this is a pretty common issue. STAY AWAY!
  6. iMouseHD macrumors regular

    Apr 19, 2007
    I should have come back with an update, I took mine back as well due to the above issues. I agree about staying away from it. I picked up a cable for 8 bucks at Sam Ash with headphone plug on one end and guitar plug on the other works much better untill I can decide on a USB controller.
  7. scottious macrumors newbie

    Nov 26, 2007
  8. Heath macrumors regular

    Aug 19, 2005
    I just use a simple 1/4" male to 1/8" female adapter then a 1/8" male/male cable and it works fine.
    Mind you I usually sit right in front of my computer while playing, if you were moving around a lot you'd probably want a sturdier cable.
  9. shoveland macrumors newbie

    Sep 6, 2005
    Really to be able to pull signal into GB all you would need would be a 1/4" male to 1/8" can find one at guitar center or at I really would recommend some type of pre also tho, sounds coming in direct tend to sound a bit muddy
  10. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    What is different about the audio input port on a Macbook vs. a Macbook Pro that would cause this? As far as I can tell on the Apple tech spec pages, the audio inputs are the same. Please enlighten me. I am looking to play my guitar through my MB (not MBP) and would like to know what I need to get.

    EDIT: What about this (M-Audio Fast Track US44010)?
  11. daflake, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

    daflake macrumors 6502a

    Apr 8, 2008
    I use an iRig HD 2 and it works very well. No lose of connectivity, gives you gain control with pretty clean signal and comes with a version of Amplitube. I have opted to use BiasFX instead and it works with it too.

Share This Page