Guitar--->Duet--->Logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MowingDevil, May 31, 2010.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I find it particularly odd that when recording gtr tracks into Logic I can only have the Duet set at 4 out of a max 75. My guitar does not have active pickups or anything although it is my loudest axe. I sent the unit back to Apogee for repair and they said they could find nothing wrong with it. Perhaps I have a setting wrong somewhere? ...in Maestro w/ the mixer perhaps? I'm not too worried about this as the recordings are coming in fine, I just find it extremely strange that anything over 4/75 will clip if I strum really hard.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Completely normal. Actually I'd say it's a good thing. My Apogee ONE behaves similarly with hot guitars like Les Pauls with humbuckers.

3. originalcliche macrumors member

Completely normal. Happens with mine as well.

4. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Ok, makes me feel better. Actually my guitar has humbuckers as well so there ya go.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

So what's the problem with "4"? Modern guitar pick-ups are "hot" and make well over 1V peak to peak. Compare that to the millivolts you get from a typical microphone.

6. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

There's no problem with it, it just struck me as odd. Since there is a spectrum of 0-75 I figured even being hot it would be in the 35-40 range. To me 4 seemed barely on but if it works it works.