Guitar Hero help please

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Jasonbot, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hi people, I have guitar hero 2 and need some tips. I always get 3 star ratings with about 70-80% of notes done. How can I become better, I've completed easy and I think I'm almost done with medium but I'm really no good :'( Any great tips someone can give me?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha i know what you mean.

just keep practicing lol

sometimes i think my time would be better spent say learning actual guitar haha

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

What might help is knowing what will give you higher star ratings. Star rating are all about keeping a long streak up, not how many notes you hit. In fact, I've seen a screen shot where the person hit 100% of the notes, but only got 3 stars (In case you were wondering, he double strummed every note so that he would miss right after he would get one).

For a four star rating you need an average multiplier of 2.0. For 5 star, you need an average multiplier of 2.8. You can check where you stand, by looking at the extra information after you finish a song. There's a screen that will show you what percentage of notes you hit for each section and your average multiplier for the song.

A word of advice: to get a higher average multiplier, save your star power for section you know you can keep a 4x multiplier through (which makes it 8x with the star power enabled) and sections with a lot of notes. The average multiplier is not based on how much time you spend in the higher multiplier, but how many notes you hit. It's also helpful to engage star power during sections with chord strumming because chords give you double points.

Good luck.

P-Worm

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's all about practice really, when you're dealing with Easy and Medium. :)

I am on Hard mode now and I've got the same problem; I can only get 3 star ratings. But that's because I'm failing to utilize the advanced techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs and I don't strum up and down, just down.

6. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

One thing, how do hammer on and pull offs work, what I do is keep all my fingers on all teh notes then release them as I need to but AFAIK thats not the right thing.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I have the same problem with the strumming it's quite aggravating. I'm currently stuck on the set after the one with "Cherub Rock" (first song is that Slipknot tune). I've been just trying to 5 star the other songs before it which in itself is a challenge.

To the OP: I found it best when learning, since Guitar Hero 3 was my first of the series, to try and not "move on" to other set lists until i get at least all 4s on the songs before it. It helps you practice the new techniques and stuff. For Hard mode i have moved on with 3s in my songs, but i am now going back and finishing them up now that i've gotten used to the Hard speed, etc. You don't have to play the same song over and over, but playing them repeatedly (even if not back to back) is very helpful.

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Will do so. I just wish that teh damn guitar hero 3 controller+game bundle would arrive here damnit! Currently they only sell the game (without the controller) which is a shame as I want two controllers.

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

All you have to do is hit the note without strumming and make sure that you strum the first note in a 'set.' You don't need to have them all down. It's important to note, however, that hammer ons and pull offs can only be used when the notes are really close together. On settings such as Medium, there aren't many chances to use the hammer ons and pull offs. The notes that you can hammer on/pull off look a little bit different that the regular notes.

For, now, I would just worry about down strumming and hitting the note on time.

P-Worm

10. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Kk, that tutorial just really confused me so ya. I'll just keep doing my thing with the easy stuff.

Also, how do you place your fingers on the controller? I use my pinky for the blue key but I'm jsut wondering about how the hell to get 4 fingers on 5 buttons (thumbs anyone :p)?

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I shift my hand back and forth for the orange. Don't worry about it for now. ;)

P-Worm

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

moving the hand

its hard for me at least so i stay with medium

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Same with me...this is why I'm getting my butt kicked on hard...Same old song and dance by Aerosmith is kicking my arse...I really need to learn how to do a proper hammer-on/pull-offs....AND I really need to stop strumming in one direction.

Bless

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh, I just beat that on hard yesterday...it was kicking my pants all over the place, my hand is still aching!

15. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Ok so I've tested out my new skillz today. Got a whole bunch of 5 star ratings I never thought possible and a bunch of 4 star ones across the regions in easy and medium! I am yet to get a song 100% perfect but did unlock the 100K score achievement of which I'm proud!

16. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Sweet man. Keep it up. And I wouldn't worry about the 100% so much, that becomes more important once you master the game on expert.

P-Worm

17. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Is it normal to have Guitar Hero riffs stuck in your head when you're not playing? How about trying to get the notes in your head as well?

18. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I sure hope so. I have gotten to the point where I see a trail of colors when I listen to the radio...

19. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Luckily I'm not there... yet!

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Is anyone else stuck on "raining blood" on hard? Gah.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

YES. That exact spot. I cannot beat it.

I might just skip to Expert. I already beat the first set. That last set on Hard is just ridiculous.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

is it just me or do the difficulties really vary a lot between songs even inside of difficulties ?

on medium i found cliffs of dover really easy compared to let's say knights of cydonia where i'm still at 3 stars

or worse i'm still on 3 stars with barracuda since i always screw up those repeated green notes :rolleyes:

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

On the repeated green notes, as hard is it may be to pull off, try strumming up and down.

IIRC Barracuda throws sets of three green notes close together at you rapidly- I always press down-up-down. Clicking up and down punches the notes in so much faster. I never strum up except on that song.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah i tried that ... too bad it made it even worse ;)

perhaps the speed of that song/passages simply doesn't sync with my brain like others do... especially funny since i totally nailed that song on easy

and i think before i start playing this thing through on hard i better get myself a real guitar ;) (amplified by a guitar playing friend trying it out commenting after playing on medium: "boy you need the pinky an awful lot")

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I swear it's the damn orange-blue-yellow blue-yellow-red thing. I just can't do it. And I've beat every other song on hard.:(