Guitar Hero on New MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by killianb, Dec 24, 2008.

1. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has already been asked, however I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if Guitar Hero 3 will work with the new aluminum MacBook? I know it won't work with the old black/white MacBook, however I'm fairly confident it would work with the new one -- I just wanted to make sure before I spent £60 of my Christmas money on it! ;)

Have a Merry Christmas all!!

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

here is the system requirements page

http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/85

i think it would run, but maybe lag a tiny bit, if you have the 2.4ghz macbook then it should run fine, if the 2.0ghz it will also run, but with a tiny bit lag

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

but if you have 4gb on a 2.0 macbook, you should be all good. this thing is a beast...

4. marshtric macrumors newbie

i hear about half of the reviewers say that it fails, and the other half says it works great. what's the story?

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

based on the sys. requirements it should run fine

6. killianb thread starter macrumors regular

killianb

Thanks for the info guys!

Has anyone out there actually tried it? I'm sure you all know that once you've purchased a game and opened it, it can't be returned. I'd hate to spend the money and not be able to use it!

Thanks again!

7. eshroom macrumors 6502

According to sys requirements............ no, it requires a dedicated graphics card.

"Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported. (Mac)" - http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/85

I think this is ridiculous seeing as the Windows version would work fine on an aluminium Macbook under vista!

8. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

The new macbooks have nvidia dedicated graphics.....not Intel....

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

They still have integrated graphics, it just isn't Intel.

To answer your question: I can play GH3 on my White MacBook using 3D Analyze, you shouldn't have an issue.

10. eshroom macrumors 6502

Yeh, absolutely right. I should have used this quote in the Mac requirements:

"Supported Video cards:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 7600, 8600
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
    ATI Radeon X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600"

Doesn't this still require Windows, or is there also a mac version of 3D Analyzer? New Macbooks will play GH3 without any additional software.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I have the Windows version. And yes, the new MacBook's won't need additional software.

12. fatcat23 macrumors member

Those new Nvidia chipsets are beautiful, the 9400M vid chip is amazing. Simply great engineering. I think we have reached a point where the integrated graphics have more than enough power for gaming, bluray, etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3432&p=2

bench: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3432&p=4
    gives 30FPS, on new 3g games(like crysis) which is playable.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

They're better than before, but most certainty aren't a God send. A dedicated graphics card like on the MacBook Pro would give much better performance when it comes to gaming.

14. eshroom macrumors 6502

So why won't they let us play guitar hero on our aluminium macbooks?! it's just not fair...