Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassist51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Hello all, to those who have bought the guitar tool kit app do any of you know if the app (or any other guitar tuning app) works with the iPod Touch? I am not sure about purchasing the apps because if the apps don't work on the microphone lacking iPod Touch, then I might get screwed out of my money. Help please

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
i think parts of it will, but anything that needs the mic (ie tuning) probably won't as the touch does not have a mic

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
i heard its bad

my friend got it like a week ago &thought it"d be good. its not!!
dont waste the funds for it. he said it was just junk &looked like totally rushed out &doesnt do any thing usefull. I paid for 7 iphone apps so far &like 20 free ones for fun. out of 7 I paid for just like 3 were worth the cash &am dissappointed for most part with all this shoddy quality apps some companys keep turning out like candy almost.
most of them I tried remind me of back when OSX came out. like 10.0 if you remember how bad it was. I remember all those companys releasing updates to work with it but they mostly felt like a bad windows98 program
may be I"ve been just un-lucky er something &got lemons cause lots of ppl love em. :eek:
but my advice from my friend about this guitartoolkit thing would be wait unless you have money to burn. darn with I did :D but if you get it pls tell us how it fairs

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I had this in a professional recording studio this weekend, and tested the tuner against a professional Peterson strobe tuner, and I have to be honest, the tuner on the iPhone was DEAD ON. I never expected it to be as good as it is. I figured it would be close, but maybe a couple cents sharp or flat, but when the Peterson was on, Guitarist Tool Kit was also on.

I would highly recommend this if you play guitar.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
most of them I tried remind me of back when OSX came out. like 10.0 if you remember how bad it was. I remember all those companys releasing updates to work with it but they mostly felt like a bad windows98 program
may be I"ve been just un-lucky er something &got lemons cause lots of ppl love em. :eek:

The app store is a little over a month old. While I'm also disappointed with the quality of some of the apps, as the store matures I'm sure we'll start seeing some truly great applications (or some of the current applications will evolve into truly great ones).

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
I have to agree...I LOVE this app! It's worked perfectly for me. When I bought my original iPhone, I never would've dreamed I could use my iPhone as a guitar tuner.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have to agree...I LOVE this app! It's worked perfectly for me. When I bought my original iPhone, I never would've dreamed I could use my iPhone as a guitar tuner.

That's the first thing I thought would be available in the App Store, since there were already 3 guitar tuners for the Palm Treo/Centro cell phone families.

Currently, there are at least 5 guitar tuners in the iPhone App Store of varying quality. For the person who mentioned strobe tuners, there's even one of those for the iPhone!

bassist51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007

thanks for all the input regarding the app guys I am convinced that the app is worth the money now, but I still need to know if all of it's functions will work on the iPod touch

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
thanks for all the input regarding the app guys I am convinced that the app is worth the money now, but I still need to know if all of it's functions will work on the iPod touch

Any functions that require a microphone to work won't work on devices that don't have or support a microphone. The iPod Touch does not have a microphone.

Master Debater

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Sorry, it won't work with the iPod touch. If you look under "Requirements" on the app's page, it says it's only compatible with the iPhone.

If you're looking for a tuner, you can get a Korg tuner for $20-$30 at any music store.

daygo140

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
I have an iPod Touch and I purchased the full version of this app $9.99. There is a light version for $5.99 that doesn't include the tuner. The reasoning behind purchasing the full version is that once the official mic for the iPod Touch is available, so will microphone support in the app. There are already mics on the net that boast compatibility with the iPod Touch.

So I can confirm that the full version works but the tuner aspect doesn't. It isn't even an available option, you only see it as an option when the program boots up. I haven't yet purchased a iPod Touch compatible mic to test. So if you cannot afford the extra $4 then get the light version but if you wish to possibly be able to utilize the tuner splurge and get the full version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.