Guitarist: What software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jklitten, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jklitten macrumors newbie

Hello
    I'm a guitarist and I'm interested in using my computer to add efects and record my music. I've been playing around with garageband and it doesn't seem powerful enough. Line 6's geargox doesn't support what I need it to.

So my question is, what software should I get?
    I mainly want the application to record music and add effects. Effects are very important to me! That's the main thing I need.

As far as price goes, I'd like to keep it under $300.

Thanks.

2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are really two questions here:

How do I record multitrack audio?

How do I get realistic guitar amp simulation and effects?

If you can get your guitar sounds, would GarageBand do the trick for recording?

There are a number of software amp.effect simulators such as IK Amplitube

My preference though is to go for a hardware solution for the guitar sound. NativeInstruments GuitarRig, Line6 has several different recording interfaces with amp simulation, Waves also has one. Check out the M-Audio BlackBox and GuitarBox, it is a USB audio interface and a effects / amp simulation unit in one. It comes with three different bundles of software depending how much you want to spend. The $500 version (you may find it for less) includes ProTools M-Powered recording software.
    It acn also be used stand-alone for live use and practicing with headphones sans-computer.