Gulftown upgrade in 09 Mac Pro / Microcode

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smacman, Feb 19, 2010.

1. smacman macrumors 6502

I know this has been discussed already, but the information is somewhat scattered throughout various posts. Is it confirmed that the Gulftown will not be a drop in upgrade unless Apple issues a microcode update (hell would have to freeze over before that happened)? Recently while talking to someone quite knowledgeable in the area of PC (non Apple) hardware, I was told that microcode updates are often not a requirement anymore.

2. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.. Maybe I should have titled this thread differently. I am still unclear from reading that thread whether it is a certainty that we require a microcode update..

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I am just thinking more from a theoretical standpoint right now. You think the chips will cost $3000? Ouch!. I was thinking they would be about $1300, which would be a reasonable upgrade for quad core Mac Pros.

In my case, I rarely max out my quad 2.93 so it would be totally unnecessary.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

well I was counting for both

there really is no way to tell if it will work until the chips are released and somebody tries

6. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

the chips are starting to leak out, saw a few pc guys starting to run them through the paces on Hard OCP.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Agreed.

Another way to tell if a Microcode update is required or not is whether top tier motherboard manufacturers on the PC side (Asus, Gateway, etc.) start issuing new BIOS revisions to support Gulftown.

Also, review sites and leaked ES sample reports will probably indicate whether there is support in existing boards/bios revisions or not.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have a feeling Apple will make this much harder than it should be.

I really hope I'm wrong.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i thought some motherboard manufacturers have already stated that some of their boards will require a bios flash for the upcoming gulftowns:confused:

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've seen this as well.

BTW, Big hint: Die shrink ;)

The quad core CPU's used in the '07 models (MP 2,1) are the same die size as those used in the '06 systems (65nm), and use the same voltages. TDP values were different, but they had the VR's and heatsinks to handle it. So the need for a microcode update was substantially less.

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I suspect the only hope for a 2009 Gulftown upgrade is if someone can find a way to pull the firmware from a 2010 and flash it to a 2009.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is the most likey means IMO as well.