Gum on my shoe

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I got gum on my new shoes today while I was taking a stroll downtown on my lunchbreak. Anyone have any miracle cures to get it off? Thanks.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
goo gone? that stuff is impressive.
So I hear. I am at work though, and don't have access to anything fancy.
I also don't have access to anything metal like a fork. I have been scuffing the bottom against the pavement, but I don't want to wear out the tread on a pair of new shoes. :(

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Put it in the freezer for a little bit until the gum hardens. Then take it out and use a small screw driver to scrape it off. Then use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove the rest of the residue.

I am experienced.

Actually like 2 weeks ago I stepped in some clay...

The same technique should work

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
This thread is worthless without pictures :p

And hasn't anyone noticed you with just one shoe on. I can see this becoming a 'The Office' sketch or something...
This reminds me more of the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa gets gum stuck in her hair, and everyone suggests something different- ice, lemon juice, a hammer, etc :D

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
This thread is worthless without pictures :p

And hasn't anyone noticed you with just one shoe on. I can see this becoming a 'The Office' sketch or something...
I took both my shoes off, just to maintain some unity and professionalism :rolleyes:

I can't upload any pics on this stupid work computer, but I can tell you that I am getting some funny looks, and that when I went to check on it, someone moved the shoe back farther in the freezer.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Middle of the city, no grass :(

I want to try to take care of this before it becomes hard as a rock
Um, Boston Common?

It might be easier to remove if it were hard as a rock, depending on what kind of soles you have.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
For what it's worth, deep-freezing your shoes overnight every so often is an effective way of limiting shoe-odor. It kills of most of the bacteria that live in them, so, for a couple of weeks at least, they'll smell fresh. :)

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
For what it's worth, deep-freezing your shoes overnight every so often is an effective way of limiting shoe-odor. It kills of most of the bacteria that live in them, so, for a couple of weeks at least, they'll smell fresh. :)
I don't like the idea of my ice cream and shoes occupying a small space in close proximity of each other....

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Um, Boston Common?

It might be easier to remove if it were hard as a rock, depending on what kind of soles you have.
Boston Common is a 10 minute walk from the financial district, and I already took my break. Taking another one is like stealing from the company :D

Took the shoe out, time to chip!

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
All you have to do is spray it with liquid nitrogen; it will freeze, then you chisel it off with a screwdriver or some other pointed object. So easy!