Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple and Goldman Sachs set to put an end to their Apple Card agreement over the next 12 to 15 months, Chase Bank could be the ideal partner to step in and take over Goldman Sachs' role, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

apple-card-1.jpg

In his weekly PowerOn newsletter, Gurman on Sunday said that JPMorgan Chase & Co already works with Apple on several financial initiatives, which is why Chase "makes more sense" than other Apple Card partners that have been proposed, such as American Express.

Chase was an early Apple Pay partner, is one of the banks that holds Apple's $60 billion in cash, and works with Apple on an Ultimate Rewards program that provides discounts on Apple products to Chase customers. Right now, the Apple Card is on the Mastercard platform, which is also used by Chase, so Apple would not need to swap over to Visa or American Express.

When Apple was first seeking a partner for the Apple Card, Chase, American Express, and Citigroup all declined to work with Apple because it was not clear at the time if the endeavor would work out, but now that Apple Card has millions of users, banks that weren't previously interested may want to reconsider.

If Apple does end up working with Chase, Gurman points out that the Apple Savings account might have to go or that Apple might have to find a different partner for it. Chase does not offer high-yield savings accounts that are on par with the 4.15 percent return rate that the Apple Savings account provides under Goldman Sachs.

There have been rumors for months that Goldman Sachs wanted to get out of consumer banking and thus out of its partnership with Apple. The Wall Street Journal last week confirmed that Apple will let Goldman Sachs out of its deal, with Apple planning to stop working with Goldman Sachs in the next 12 to 15 months.

The Wall Street Journal suggested that Apple could work with Synchrony Financial on the Apple Card, and prior rumors have said that Goldman Sachs approached American Express about taking over the partnership. It is not yet clear if Apple is already in talks with another bank, nor what the company's next steps will be. Apple Card service will continue on as normal as Apple works to find a new partner, and Apple has promised to continue to provide "the best tools and services" for Apple Card customers.

Article Link: Gurman: Chase Bank is 'Ideal Partner' to Take Over Apple Card Deal

Drew1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
I agree with AMEX but Apple may have “kicked themselves” in that AMEX is super picky on whom they offer credit to. They do NOT lend to subprime borrowers and since Apple pushed GS to lend to as many people possible, including subprime, they’re now suffering the consequences as their loss rate is too high. AMEX does indeed carry the world class prestige that Apple loves, but too many losses for AMEX comfort.

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I really like the Chase card I have for Amazon Prime. Get 5% cash back which pays for the cost of Prime many times over throughout the year. I would be happy with this change.
Same here. My Prime card is the main one I use. Aside from purchasing Apple products, the primary reason I applied for the Apple Card was because it was MasterCard and I wanted to diversify since I already have a Visa card + Visa debit card. So whatever route they end up going...I hope it stays MC at the very least.

Reactions: macduke

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Remember the craze for the Chase Sapphire card a few years back? I wonder if there would a be a huge frenzy over an Apple Sapphire Reserve Card powered by Chase™. Imagine airport lounges designed by Apple (minimalistic yet crowded), an annual Apple Store credit, guaranteed access to a Chase Private Bank Genius (arrogant and dismissive about your finances), dedicated ATMs that use FaceID…I bet it would break the Internet!
;-)

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Personally I don't want to add another Chase card into my account. Although Apple Card is built right into the Wallet app, the Chase iOS app is quite unorganized.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The card + HYSA is why AMEX would make more sense as a one-stop-shop for Apple. Only issue might be acceptance, but AMEX is pretty good these days.
While I agree that Amex offers the best overall customer experience, and arguably Discover second, as you pointed out, Amex still isn't accepted in as many places as VISA or MasterCard (especially in many other countries).

Having said that, I wouldn't personally mind if Apple Card is split into two offerings: a fee-free offering serviced by Chase and annual-fee based offering serviced by Amex.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Remember the craze for the Chase Sapphire card a few years back? I wonder if there would a be a huge frenzy over an Apple Sapphire Reserve Card powered by Chase™. Imagine airport lounges designed by Apple (minimalistic yet crowded), an annual Apple Store credit, guaranteed access to a Chase Private Bank Genius (arrogant and dismissive about your finances), dedicated ATMs that use FaceID…I bet it would break the Internet!
;-)
Airport lounge designed by Apple? You mean one with no walk ins allowed, reservations only?

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Dunno about this one. Chase can easily take the card, but they’re also known for maximising their profits with credit cards. I can’t see the Apple Card features remaining intact as we know them if Chase takes over.
Remember most credit card companies, and especially Chase, call people who pay off their balance every month "deadbeats."

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Remember most credit card companies, and especially Chase, call people who pay off their balance every month "deadbeats."
Chase can call me whatever they want. They’re very good to me. I’m carrying something over $50k in available credit with them across multiple products and they’ve never made a dime of interest from me. So a deadbeat be I.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
When Apple was first seeking a partner for the Apple Card, Chase, American Express, and Citigroup all declined to work with Apple because it was not clear at the time if the endeavor would work out, but now that Apple Card has millions of users, banks that weren't previously interested may want to reconsider.
Yeah, I'm sure Chase wants all those subprime Apple Card users.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have Chase cards and accounts. They are usually pretty reliable but I dislike how these gigantic corporations/banks are gobbling everything around us. Pretty soon we will be ruled by a dozen of entities. Good luck fighting this trend.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I think American Express makes the most sense for Apple, since their whole business model is based on major partnerships with big rewards. I mean look what they've done with Delta, you can't even get into a SkyClub these days because of American Express.

That said, I use Chase for everyday banking and American Express for my main credit card (Apple Card is my backup), and I've been happy with both companies for a long time.

grouchystitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
For sure will be cancelling my Apple Card if chase take over. They are the reason I don’t get the Marriott card, or anything with chase . Same reason I canceled my united and Amazon prime , they are terrible and their customer service is horrible. The worse credit card out there . I’ll take anything else before chase .

grouchystitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
I think American Express makes the most sense for Apple, since their whole business model is based on major partnerships with big rewards. I mean look what they've done with Delta, you can't even get into a SkyClub these days because of American Express.

That said, I use Chase for everyday banking and American Express for my main credit card (Apple Card is my backup), and I've been happy with both companies for a long time.
Amex is the best card I have so far

Reactions: Techwatcher

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I don’t need or want more credit. But when Apple announced a HY savings account it made me double check my existing account rates to see if it would be worth it to move. Nope; Barclays was very close at the Apple account launch and is still offering 4.35% today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.