Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shalev

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2015
yesterday while using my iPhone I felt that the software design just 'doesn't' belong to planet earth... the colors, the 2D look, no shadow, no depth etc, looks alienist to me at this point to be honest.

i think it's time to move away from flat, no depth and no details design and return to a much more earth like materials UI, not skeuomorphism which mimics a real world object, a new design language where the software look like being made from glass, metal, stone etc but in a new and more modern design, a more detailed oriented crafted UI (a crafted aluminum volume knob instead of round white circle without any details for example)

IMO that flat design trend which came from the fashion industry doesn't really have a soul.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
2012 the year that Lightning was first used as connector for iPhone and also the year that iOS 6 was released, the last version that has skeuomorphic design... 2013 was the year that iOS 7 was released, the first version that has flat design... If the rumors are true, 2022 will be the last year of Lightning as iPhone connector and 2023 apparently will be the first year that USB type C will be the connector to be used with iPhone... Will iOS 17 be the return of skeuomorphic design if iOS 16 is almost the same with iOS 7 to iOS 15?

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
Frankly the EVnews in the the newsletter had more importance than the iOS upgrades will.

Unless one new way of interacting with the OS is telepathically :apple:

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Gurman is such a hack, another vague guess.

Anyway,
just give us AOD, interactive widgets, macOS icons, multi windows, MUCH improved notifications, control centre and app switching.

Fix the safari tabs reloading bug as well ffs.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
None of these matter. There are loads of great third party calculators, weather, and so on.

What is needed is to stop treating iPadOS like iOS. The iPad is not a phone. iPad users need a real operating system. The iPad needs a desktop, not a "home screen." Better usage of the space. Free placement of icons. Nuke the stupid grid. Its great on a phone. Not on an iPad. All that horsepower, all that real estate. And still 2 / 3 apps together. We've got a magic keyboard on which the iPad "floats". Now give us floating windows! 16 versions and it's still iOS for a computer. FFS
I agree about there needing to be a modified operating system or method of multi screen interaction. But I completely disagree about the grid design. You have a file app - make that better. But I have almost a hundred apps all available and in app folders in one Home Screen. It would be HORRIBLE if we went to some random placement of apps. This is as clean and utilitarian as it could get. You’re just too used to it. Bring more powerful apps, better/easier interactions like multi-window capabilities, but do not mess with the ease and simplicity of the Home Screen.

Reactions: ipedro

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Actually no there aren’t. At least what’s free is becoming garbage and riddled with ads like weather channel app on iPad. Don’t even defend apple on that one. Everyone knows it’s getting pathetic at this point the damn iPad doesn’t have a built in calculator either.
Then, hear me out, be willing to pay a developer a nominal fee both for their work as well as to offset costs in obtaining weather data from an API and serving that back out to customers. That’s not free, and with Apple making it increasingly difficult for the ad industry to make money on iOS (for better or worse), the breakeven solution for existing “free” apps is more ads.

If you use your iPad with a keyboard, you can use the built-in search feature as a calculator without even leaving the app you’re in. ⌘Space and type in your calculation and it’s done. If you don’t have a keyboard, the search feature can also be accessed by pulling down the lock screen and then swiping down.

Gurman is such a hack, another vague guess.

Anyway,
just give us AOD, interactive widgets, macOS icons, multi windows, MUCH improved notifications, control centre and app switching.

Fix the safari tabs reloading bug as well ffs.
I feel like he’s just talking without any credible information. I really don’t understand what he’s saying. Sorry, but it’s so vague :(

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
None of these matter. There are loads of great third party calculators, weather, and so on.

What is needed is to stop treating iPadOS like iOS. The iPad is not a phone. iPad users need a real operating system. The iPad needs a desktop, not a "home screen." Better usage of the space. Free placement of icons. Nuke the stupid grid. Its great on a phone. Not on an iPad. All that horsepower, all that real estate. And still 2 / 3 apps together. We've got a magic keyboard on which the iPad "floats". Now give us floating windows! 16 versions and it's still iOS for a computer. FFS
Don't agree with your first part as I think pretty much every mobile OS these days at least has those apps even if they are basic.

Somewhat agree with your second part. I haven't seen what was the point of separating out iOS and iPadOS if they aren't really going to do much different between the two.

Shalev

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2015

the iPad is not for you, it's a post PC device, not a PC.

Reactions: ipedro

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Buy a good app. Jeez. You can crash a thousand dollars on an iPad but not a few dollars on a good calculator or a subscription to a good weather app?
Yeah buy your own wheels man, if you can buy an Audi you should be able to afford wheels….hey let’s remove windshields an suspensions too right/ you can afford an Audi you should be able to buy those too!

Just cause I can affor something does not mean it should be made optional, also, calculator and weather app are already on IOS so it’s not like apple has a t0ns of work for them to be on the iPad.

Can I afford a calculator or a weather app? Sure but it shouldn’t be needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.