Guts of the iMac! How To?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacOCD, Feb 11, 2009.

1. MacOCD macrumors regular

So I have a 20 inch iMac, love it to death. I have always wanted to just open her up and see whats inside, i have done it with MacBooks, iPods, Apple TV all that stuff but never attempted with my iMac, one because i don't know where to start. Behind the stand i think there is a lock for the back plastic panel but i am not sure, i would like some one to tell me how to go about opening this. A detailed description would be great, pictures would be even better if some one has already done this is, and has them handy.

Thank You my mac lovin' friends.

2. azdunerat macrumors regular

I dont care who you are, but that was some funny chit right there

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

This is a pretty comprehensive guide to upgrading the hard drive. it gives very detailed instructions on how to open your imac.

4. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a bunch :]

5. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Most people will think this is crazy but i don't like google... it releases 7 grams of carbon per search so i would rather find some one who already knows a site then sending time, releasing carbon, and scrolling through unboxing pictures.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

really? i had no idea that google releases 7 grams of carbon per search, that's pretty interesting. i wanna know more about that, but i won't start a thread about it, ill just go google it!

7. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like fun! Maybe you can google how to fix the smart-ass problem of yours.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

now why would i wanna fix that? im not a smart ass, but stupid threads get on my nerves. next why dont you go start another thread about when the new imacs are gonna be released!

9. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

Is there a thread about new iMacs? Can someone point me to it?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Chances are the other people also used google. Therefore, you didn't really save any, but infact, you used a little bit more by coming here, using the bandwidth from macrumors then having another user search up google then posting the result back here..

Furthermore, sorry to burst your bubble, but the 7 grams myth is false. It is actually closer to 0.2grams per search.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...nds-to-search-carbon-cost-claims-1324968.html

Even stated here on a site dedicated to environmentalism.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/01/seven-grams-per-google-search.php

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i understand this is an imac forum. but in the case of new imacs, why make another thread about when they will be released when there are already 170000000000000 threads about the same EXACT topic.

12. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

I'm gonna google even more knowing that !
    Global warming = tax rip off :p

13. george1drum macrumors newbie

The guy had a question on an imac he wanted answering so he asked on an imac forum...it winds me up when the 'know-it-all' apple fans have a go at things like this, if you dont like the thread then dont read it!!!

14. cleetusvandamm macrumors member

exactly! I agree
    seems just about every question asked on here could be found via google..why have a forum at all then?

15. svenwillmann macrumors member

16. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

17. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Right, I'm off to do 10 searches.

When you're getting into changing your habits to save so little, it's like trying to empty the sea with a teaspoon.

18. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The forum is here to answer such questions as the OP asked....however, they shouldn't have to be answered multiple times....that's why the forums have a SEARCH function.

Gee.....maybe I'll start a thread to find out the maximum amount of RAM a new iMac can utilize........;)

19. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

now i feel like searching for everything under the sun with google.
    in fact i will probably do double searches now, just to be sure the first one didn't get messed up.

20. maclare macrumors newbie

21. nusynergy macrumors regular

Using the Search function in the forum is all very well if you actually know exactly what your lookin for and asuming that the thread starter titled it correctly!

22. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

OMG, Thanks to this thread. I now know about about http://******.com/
    That has got to be the funniest thing I have seen in weeks.