Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
..and for one reason alone.

Go into Messages, hit the home button then swipe to next screen.... does nothing. I can rub my screen like im trying to give it a good time and absolutely no response at all.

5S... had it for less than a week.

Unresponsive like a 4 yr old Android phone, and no exaggeration.

Just setup from new and its still doing it.

I seriously don't get this.

My last venture into world of Apple was an iPhone 5 on launch. iOS 7 came out and I had a similar experience, it's happened again.

Going to try and downgrade to 7.12 but I dislike the fact they will shoehorn people into 8 soon enough.

Very disappointed.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Your imagery made me chuckle.

I haven't had nearly the level of problems you're experience. It's a bit jankier than usual and I would agree iOS 8 feels rushed, as did iOS 7, which is disappointing.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is it really a huge issue though? I feel like 3rd party keyboards and quick reply in Messages are huge improvements over iOS 8.

Either way, I never would have noticed this because I actually keep all my apps on 1 screen and in folders.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Rolled back to 7.12.

Guess i'll just have to wait for the next release and hope for the best.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
OP,

Did this problem happen from a fresh install without adding any apps, or did you notice this after adding some apps?

I did a fresh install afterwards and got the very same behaviour. There is like a delay from exiting Messages to the home screen where the screen is dead.

At a total loss.

----------

Not quite sure what are you complaining? There is no screen when you swipe left to right on your phone.. And right to left seems fine

Am I missing something?

I swipe left (to go right) and no response.

There is a screen full of stuff there. The screen dies for two seconds after exiting Messages pretty much... but not always.

Bearing in mind, I made this video after trying to use the phone normally for 20 minutes. General usage, so unresponsive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like something else is in play here as most people don't seem to have this issue.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
You are installing apps at the same time, when they finish downloading and start installing, the device can be sluggish. Try in flight mode or when the download are complete.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
You are installing apps at the same time, when they finish downloading and start installing, the device can be sluggish. Try in flight mode or when the download are complete.

As I said above, I did a new install from scratch. No apps...

I just went into messages, came out and got the same behaviour. :(

Like it makes the screen dead.

Going to wait for 8.01 or whatever it will be.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
after I had first installed iOS 8 on my 5S i had the exact same issues, lockups in the settings menu, lockups after closing messages, etc. They've all disappeared after a day though, perhaps it was some sort of icloud syncing thing or something. Not sure what caused it but it's gone now.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
after I had first installed iOS 8 on my 5S i had the exact same issues, lockups in the settings menu, lockups after closing messages, etc. They've all disappeared after a day though, perhaps it was some sort of icloud syncing thing or something. Not sure what caused it but it's gone now.

Thanks for that, some hope then.

I'm back on 7.12 now and all is great again so I don't believe it's hardware.

Will play the long game with this one.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I CAN replicate this on my iPhone 6+. Interesting bug to find, and of little consequence, but a bug nonetheless.

I actually tried this with other apps beside Messages and the bug's there for them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.