Gutted.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grimbo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Grimbo macrumors member

Accidentally put my SIM holder in the wrong way and when I pulled it out it snapped and the SIM got stuck in the holder, got an appointment on Tuesday at the Apple store so hopefully they'll fix it or replace it. :eek:

2. Tres macrumors regular

Mood: :(

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed ok!

3. Grimbo thread starter macrumors member

Think they would replace it or just fix it? Because the bottom half of the SIM holder is stuck in there as it snapped when I pulled it out plus the SIM is jammed too lol.

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Ouch. Poor phone.. :(

Please do keep us updated.

5. Malivar macrumors member

I think they are more likely to just hand you a new one.

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

7. Grimbo thread starter macrumors member

Would I need to take anything like receipts? Or could I just take my box and they can get the serial and check the warranty off that?

Ahh man I wish I could just pay an extra 50 pound and get the 16GB white one. :eek:

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Depends who you get, if one Genius denies you just go back another day and try again. It is user-caused damage so I don't know how well they'll treat you.

9. dr.rosenrosen macrumors newbie

Am I the only one curious as to why Apple would be expected to replace, or fix for free an issue caused entirely by the user?

I'm not trying to be rude, i'm fairly new to Apple products, and would be shocked if that is the case.

10. Grimbo thread starter macrumors member

Just got back, they told me I have to pay £139 to replace it as it can't be fixed/repaired.. might aswell do that. Looking for my Carphone Warehouse warranty now, might be completely different to Apple's.

11. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

is it stuck inside the iphone? if you can get the other bit out, why dont you have a look on ebay for a sim tray surely it wouldnt cost £139 off there?

Check Here

12. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Because the Sim Card Tray has your Serial printed on :rolleyes:

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So what? It's also in Settings>General>About>

And it's also printed on the box that it came in. The serial on the sim card tray means almost nothing.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

16. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Right. Those trays are probably scratched up anyways so you don't see the IMEI/Serial.
    How?

17. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

+fricken1, i can't stand people who feel the need to point out that they deemed a thread useless...good to know! no one cares!

for the record, this is not a pointless thread.

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Actually, until the issue is resolved, it is pretty useless. Now, once he hears from the Apple store, it gains some value.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

And if the phone is broken/you don't have the box?

That's also why Apple wont replace just the SIM tray. They can't go and order a new one, it wont have the correct serial. And I'd doubt they'd get one specially made. It's not exactly handy having the wrong serial number on your SIM tray. Apple would probably refuse service if they found out.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Since he broke his phone, it's out of warrantee now. Apple's not going to replace it for free, so the best thing he can do at this point is order a new sim tray. Give the guy a break (not literally... that already happened).

OP: Just order a blank sim tray and be happy... don't worry about what other's are saying about your thread. If you're worried, just write down your serial number or save your box.

21. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

He already went to the Apple store, and you wouldn't believe how I found that out; I read the thread before replying. Weird huh? :rolleyes:

See, here it is:

22. Grimbo thread starter macrumors member

The woman at the Apple Genius bar said there was a broken part of the SIM tray inside and taking it out would 90% damage the whole phone.

My Carphone Warehouse warranty covers this I think so I'm going to phone them today.

23. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Personally, I think you'll be lucky to get anything done under the Carphone Warehouse warranty because (1) It was your fault - i.e. negligence and (2) they only act as agents for Apple.

24. Grimbo thread starter macrumors member

I got it done. Paid £30 and they said they'll send it off, but if it's unfixable, they'll just replace it and send it to the Carphone Warehouse store for me to pick up. :rolleyes:

25. 226896 Guest

Ouch. Hope it gets sorted quick dude, let us know.