Gutting an iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boyorion, Aug 1, 2019.

1. boyorion macrumors newbie

I have an old iBook G4 2.66ghz. Has anyone had any luck with doing an entire mod on it and putting in modern parts to make it a sleeper?

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I'm afraid Apple didn't make an iBook that fast, so could you tell us the model number printed on the bottom of the machine - it should say Axxxx somewhere ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

3. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's been a while since I've booted it. It was a 1.66ghz, I believe, maybe even a 1.33? Regardless, I was considering the idea of simply using the case to mod in modern mac laptop parts and wondered if anyone had already hit on this idea as a project and given it a go.

4. backyardvoodoo macrumors member

5. boyorion, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019

boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links!

Incidentally, what search engine did you use and what search terms? Google essentially just returned a bunch of recent Mac links.

6. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

The level of skill this takes is literally insane...I think this guy is a master craftsman. Not saying it can't be done, but its probably not as simple as you think. I once made a Raspberry Pi fake iMac G3. Empty iMac case, 5 dollar monitor from Goodwill, ta da, done. I modded Ubuntu Mate to look somewhat like the Mac OS and then I gave it away, which I now regret.

I search on youtube for stuff like this, searches like: PowerPC, PowerPC Linux, Powerbook G3/G4, ibook G3. Filter search for this year to avoid all the ten year old looks like they were shot with a potato videos that inevitably crop up. Demonic Sweaters is a cool NYC mac/linux guy, he put a Raspberry Pi into a Mac SE/30.

7. boyorion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be easy but I would think the standoffs would be the most difficult thing along with finding the right adapters and connectors.

I may be highly deluded but in my mind you'd just transplant a chosen main board and then solder whatever io connecters and fill the others. Of course you'd HAVE to use the battery that fits the G4 although the G4 was such a hog you might actually get better life running a mid i5.

The way I see it there's a lot of room in the iBook case. It's a far laptop by today's standards.