Gutting PowerMac G5 - HDD assembly

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mknabster, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

Hey all, I'm in the process off gutting first of the two PowerMac G5s i have because i want to turn them into legs for a table. I have pretty much gotten everything out, but i'm trying to figure out how to get the hard drive assembly piece out, and i can't figure out how to get it past the upper lip of the case. I was able to loosen it, but i can't figure out how to get it out of there.

I'm sure i would need to remove the plate on that separates the hard drive and CD drive from the mobo, but i removed the screws to the case and it won't slide out. Any ideas on how to remove that, because i bet if i get that out, the HDD assembly will fall out.

Thanks

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes you do have to remove the tray/separator that the optical drive sits on to remove the HDD caddy and fan assembly. That involves removing the side door lock mechanism which there are 3 small springs on the backside of the hook locks. It all comes out pretty easily.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Are you selling parts out of them? I need a few!

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

What do you need?

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'll message you!

6. repentix macrumors regular

I know This isn't Part of The topic, but I I somehow can't remove The HDD's out of my G5. I know they should normally just slide out, but my HDD's are really stuck, do you know any solution to that problem?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure you first move the little grey holding arm up and remove both cables. After that, they slide right out without much force.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ensure the heads of the cables are not catching it in any way. It isn't really fun replacing the SATA cables.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I hate to change the topic, but are either of them 2.3 or 2.7GHz systems? I could use the CPUs. What would be your asking price?