Guy misses flight because TSA doesn't believe MBA is a real laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BiikeMike, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Link

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow, apparently TSA inspectors don't watch TV. You can hardly turn the television on without seeing an MBA ad.

That and the lack of sources cited makes me think this story might be false.

3. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I believe it.

I've seen one, maybe two MacBook Air commericals - and I watch TV a lot. It wouldn't be hard for someone not to know about it if they watched TV rarely or never at all.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'd rather have TSA take note of what they consider suspicious than have them do nothing at all. It is rather funny, but in the end, better safe than sorry.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

That is a riot!

I wonder what some of the other Apple products were that didn't pass security?

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Nike+iPod. Having a weird electronic device in your shoe probably doesn't look too good!

:D

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My gf works for TSA. She's seen many a MBA's and never had an issue.

Just someone else trying to call TSA out on something.

If this story had any truth to it why haven't we heard about people with flash based mp3 players being questioned?

8. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yeah... that's pretty funny. Don't know why he didn't just boot it up and show that it worked. It would be hard to believe it was a fully functioning laptop and a bomb in that amount of space. Though, I think people on these forums have a skewed perception on how obvious new tech products are (not a bad thing).

p.s. - Good call on the nike+iPod. I doubt that would go over well, and there's even less advertisements for it.

9. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Yeah, I definitely take for granted new tech products. I read Engadget pretty much every day, cruise around on here, etc.

And I can't take credit for the Nike+iPod, that was a link from the Engadget article

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

are you serious? TSA is a joke. Do you really think anyone would try and hijack an airplane again?

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

seems about the level of competence I'd expect from TSA. They're great at harassing us regular travelers, but the FBI (running tests) continues to have no problem getting weapons, including bombs, past them.

12. arcanic macrumors regular

arcanic

I got stopped by the TSA during a trip to Las Vegas....they said...."beautiful laptop....guess I got lucky!"

:apple:Arc:apple:

13. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

My colleague and I brought five eMates through LAX security this past weekend. A TSA agent said "cute laptop!" when he saw one of them.

I thought that was pretty cool.

:)

14. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You're completely right. I don't know why they even spend resources on security. No one would ever try something like that again. Best not to hassle us with it. Even metal detectors strike me as "tacky" on what would otherwise be a nice trip.

[/sarcasm]

15. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

MBA Stumps TSA....

LOL!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/14047

The suspiciously thin, port-free laptop sends airport security into a tizzy, until cooler heads prevail. Maybe it's time for some tech briefings at the TSA, no?
    On his blog, programmer Michael Nygard (by way of the Unofficial Apple Weblog) writes that during a recent trip through the airport, his solid-state MacBook Air stopped TSA agents—puzzled by its lack of rear-facing ports or a standard hard drive—in their tracks.

Nygard said the agents put him and his suspicious "device" in a holding cubicle as security staffers huddled nearby, looking at X-ray printouts of the sinister-looking Air and scratching their heads.

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've taken over ten flights with mine and not even a raised eyebrow from security. It lays flat in plastic bin, they see Apple logo on top and computer pieces through x-ray.

Fellow passengers on the other hand......

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

All you had to say was TSA.... those guys are freakin brick heads. They made me put my cane through the xray machine and have me walk through the stand up unit. I looked at them like they were morons. Maybe it's because they are.

18. n0de macrumors 6502

I have been on several trips with mine and either they just ignore it or are really interested because they do know what it is.

There have been several times I have actually forgotten to take it out of the bag and they have not even noticed. It is so light compared to my corporate laptop that sometimes I forget I have it with me ;)

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

My wife's taken hers on multiple flights and never got any weird looks or confusion, just like any other laptop. Once she got the "oh is that the new Mac?" question, but otherwise, nothing else.

20. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

They have policy to follow. Yell at the Gov't, not TSA.

I hear about TSA day in and day out, my fiancee works for TSA. Most passenger complains are about policies TSA employees have to enforce, but did not make themselves. Blame the right people.

21. buffalo macrumors 65816

Guess this traveler should've allowed a little extra time getting to the plane... ;)

22. mrsmitty13 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if you think TSA officers are "brick heads" but I actually applaud that attentive officer who stopped the MBA to question its differences and the potential that it was a threat. The TSA learns from incidents like such and eductaes their officers so it doest happen again. Take a look at www.tsa.gov and they have a cover story featuring the MBA. As for you personal situation you have the right to not be forced to walk without your cane if you choose to. You need to stand your ground and if they do not want to honor your request then ask to speak to their supervisor. On the TSAs defense, that cane HAS to go through the x-ray. What they can do for you is let you walk through with it, get you to a chair, then take your cane and run it through the xray. Don't come on the Internet and bash the quality of all TSA officers based on your individual experience. Its not fair to those of us that are vigilant to security and responsive to the passengers personal needs.

23. asmallchild macrumors regular

Tower 6-3-1. Group beatdown of offender in progress. I repeat, group beatdown of offender in progress.

;)

24. munckee macrumors 65816

I always used to take my sensor out of my shoe for this exact reason (now use a shoepouch which doesn't seem so oddball).

25. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Didn't you ever stop to consider, they maybe looking for something inside your cane,like one of those pop out blades you see in the bond films ( far fetched maybe, possible certainly ) or even some sort of chemical explosive liquid or even a bomb. Oh i use a stick i cant be a nutter