Guys/Gals, I need some advice :/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jaikob, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Currently, I am a web designer working out of my home. My one person business required Charter Business Solutions High Speed internet, to host my small server. I now cannot afford charter, so I gave them a call, and asked to terminate my service. I have been a customer since 2006ish 2007ish, so that means my contract ended at the beginning of this year.

I contacted them, and was told there would be a termination fee of $1,120.00 because somehow we signed a new contract in 2008. Frustrated and baffled, I told them my situation, and they said there was nothing they could do for me. I called back later that day, and asked to be elevated to someone higher in the chain. I was told by them that there was no termination fee, and that we where not even in a contract! I told him to leave a note on the account, and would cancel my service later.

Well, I just got off the phone with them again, and they still insist I "signed" a new contract for 3 years. I never physically signed anything, I clicked a button online that said "Upgrade of Service". I physically signed my original contract (the one in 2006-2007) by the way.

If I am understanding everything, the technician that was here lied and cheated us out when we upgraded our service to a 7.5M connection in 2008.

While on the phone, I asked to be elevated, the guy then told me that no one was present. He then hurried me through and told me to have a good day.

I need to terminate this service because I simply cannot pay for it. But its been a headache for me. I was given a retention number to call tomorrow morning, but I am afraid they are going to say the same thing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really don't want to be SOL in rough times like these.

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A first step might be to ask them to produce the signed agreement.

3. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

That is what bothers me, we agreed to an upgrade via a click of a button, we didn't sign anything. I don't know if that is enforced or not.

4. iPenguin macrumors newbie

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Now, I do not do this type of law (contract law) but I do know that contracts can be agreed upon by a click of the button

As the other user said, tell them you want to see the agreement. They can't hide it from you.

6. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

He would have transfered me to retention anyways and they probably would have caught it.