Guys, how does one invoke "half-screen" aka Reachability feature on iPhone X without Home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Goldfrapp, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Since iPhone X display is taller, I can see myself needing to use this feature more often. On older iPhones, you simply double-tap on Home button. What about iPhone X?

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

That developer that digged into the GM and leaked lots of details just tweeted a few mins ago that this is not supported on the X.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is going to make it harder to reach some top placed apps (one-handed). I didn't think about that possibility. Would have been nice if Apple could have come up with some kind of gesture motion for that feature.

4. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Reachability is the operative word

edit: not trying to be a smart ass, just want this thread to show up in searches - I didn’t realize it had been removed from iPhone X before reading it above

5. Avenger macrumors 6502a

I am confused. Is the iPhone X closer in size to the 8 or 8 plus?

6. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

The 8. But with the screen reaching further to the edge of the device (i.e., without the top “chin” pushing the top of the reachable screen edge down), the distance is amplified.

7. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Edited. Thanks.

8. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I think that the general idea was that reachability would not be necessary on the X because of the smaller footprint. It is supposed to be around the same size as the 7.

9. eric3312 macrumors 6502

But the iPhone 7 has it even with a smaller screen size. So this is another brilliantly stupid move by Apple.

10. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

iPhone X sports 5.8-inch display. Obviously taller than 5.5 on 7 Plus.

Basic math

11. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

In some ways I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

I think that they would have kept it in there if there was an easy way to integrate it...who knows...maybe a triple tap on the screen will allow in the future...I don't know.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    The screen may be taller, but the footprint of the phone is roughly the same as the 7. The additional screen space is afforded with the smaller bezels. I have no problem reaching the top of my iPhone 7 personally. I am sure that there are those who will be affected by it.

12. s2mike macrumors 6502a

Ugh. I was afraid of this, especially now that A) the iPhone X screen is taller than the currently iPhone 7 screen, and B) you will need to swipe down from the very top of the screen to access both Control Center and Notification Center.

The iPhone 7 is already a bit larger than I’d like, but I can still manage to use it one-handed thanks to reachability. The X is gonna make things even more difficult.

13. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

 stores and carriers will have them on display, just go play with it

14. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Shame. Even though it may not be necessary, it'd still be nice to have it. I detailed my reasons in a thread earlier. I guess there are only so many buttons and actions you can implement though... haha.

15. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

In the next decade of iPhones, reachability is no longer important.

16. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

this could be easily added from apple with a drag down from dock slide. I really hope this phone is jailbreakable because this is the one phone in the last few years that really needs little things added to it with no home button and possibly a software notch fix(rounded and black) for certain screens

17. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Honestly though, it seems like they could add it pretty easily with a double-tap of the home bar. Less sure about it when you're on the home screen, however.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

only if you somehow aim in between your apps down there. My method is better :p

19. Jennifer775 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Turn on Reachability in the Accessibility Settings under General. It will also tell you there how to do it. Swipe down very close to the bottom of the screen.

20. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

Apple PR Team!

21. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Ya I use it all the time. It’s great!