Guys i got a question about having 2 wireless router in the same network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ricanlegend, May 15, 2011.

1. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to have 2 routers on the same network one for wireless n 5ghz only and the other for everthying else in the 2.4ghz ? The router i have right now is a time capsule , any information or help will be appreciated thank you

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Apple's Time Capsule has simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi (uses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

3. Ricanlegend thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know but if you put the time capsule to wireless n only you can also bond more channel together making it more faster and less likely of having interference from anybody else, since the wireless n has more non over lapping channel, but doing this wont allow any non N device to enter it .

4. Ricanlegend thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have googled it all of them talk about extending the network , i don't want to extend my network i want to know if i can have 2 wireless router one for wireless N only and the other one for all of the rest. I know am not the only one that has thought about doing this

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The answer is yes, though you'll probably want to disable DHCP on one of the routers. What you could do instead is buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point), unless you think you'll want to use it as a router later on.

I've run a setup like this before, with an Airport Extreme (not dual band) providing 802.11n 5GHz and another wireless router providing 802.11g 2.4GHz.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yes you can but they both obviously have to have different SSIDs.

For instance, if you have LANx wired to 2x APs (Access Points) with different SSIDs, then both these WLANs have to be an extension of LANx. Not sure about resource sharing between the two WLANs but they should both be able to (at least) access shared resources from LANx eg. shared folders, internet connectivity etc. Apologies if this isn't what you're after but I do think you need to be clearer on your requirements as each setup/configuration can vary depending on this.

For channel bonding its best to use 2 neighbouring (non-'g') channels if possible but I can't confirm if this is possible on the Time Capsule. Do remember to enable wide channels on 'n' for higher throughput but be aware that this may cause interference with other devices and vice-versa.

7. Ricanlegend thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry if am not being very specific, heres a picture of what am trying to do, click me

8. Ricanlegend thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wide channel is what apple calls channel bonding, You can tell the difference right away internet speed is more stable and internet speed is way faster and also theres more channels so you don't need to worry about interference

9. mac00l macrumors 6502

That's essentially what everyone is telling you to do. Yes it is possible, what you are trying to do is no different than extending a network, where you need to set the access points in different channels, so they won't collide between them. The difference with you, is that you want both access point to be in the same exact area.

For example, when on campus, airport, or most public places with wireless, regardless of the area within the place that you are connecting from, you always are in the same network, but when you start walking, you connect to a different node (access point) which is in the same network but is working in a different channel than previous node.

You will do the exact same setup, with the difference being, that instead of installing the access points as far away from each other as possible, you will have them close.

10. mac00l macrumors 6502

That sir is not possible, Apple doesn't allow channel bonding in the 2.4ghz band

EDIT: But I'm sure you'll find a better answer in THIS section

11. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I don't know about this "channel bonding" thing, but what you're describing is how how my wlan network has been configured for the last three years.

I have two Airport Express devices, configured only as 5GHz 802.11n APs and two Linksys WRT54G devices configured only as 802.11g APs.

One of each of these devices is located on the 3rd floor of my house and the other pair is connected (via ethernet) on the 1st floor.

The 802.11n network has one SSID and the g network has another. The g APs are set to different channels.

The actual router for the network is located in the basement with the FiOS hardware. The WLAN radio is turned off on that device.

I set it up this way so that I could be sure that the n network was running at the higher frequency and not negotiated down to 2.4 by a device that only supported the lower frequency.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I'm aware of that but I do hate Apple terminology sometimes as 'wide channel' isn't really a good or appropriate term to describe what is actually happening... just my opinion. You can also tell when channel bonding is used when your link speed is ramped up all of a sudden.

Interference can still occur in the 5GHz range but nowhere near (as yet) as much compared with 2.4GHz. However one must be aware that you may be liable if your wireless network interferes operationally with other people's devices eg. wireless sensors, phones etc. but this rule applies to anything operating in the unlicensed 'free' spectrum. Nothing much to worry about (as you mentioned) as it all depends on your environment. :)

Good job really. Bonding in that band would be such a bad idea.

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If the Time Capsule is running the DHCP, set the other wireless router to bridge the network. Then all the devices connected to the 'g' network will pick up their IPs and internet connectivity from the Time Capsule. Hope you catch my drift. :)

14. Ricanlegend thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for all the support, i just wanted to make sure what i was doing was possible, i never cared about the wireless n 5ghz only band,but once i tried it, it made i huge difference my speed was more faster and more constant for anybody who haven't tried it its a must specially if you turn on channel bonding. And to the guy that says you cant bond channel at the 2.4ghz doing so will be very cruel to everybody else lol theres not that much space there to do that with