Guys, I know no one cares about this, but PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eat me, Jun 6, 2011.

1. eat me macrumors member

With the WWDC and all people are excited about other things, I know, but there is something I was expecting and Apple didn't deliver - split screen in new Safari.

Seeing how Lion is so about full-screen apps, but it seems it's also about small screen notebooks. Try using full screen Safari on a 27 imac - it's downright silly.

The feature I was looking for is the ability to split windows. So that you'd have two separate web pages in one window side by side (kind of like iPages full-screen) - say you're using facebook/gmail and browsing/watching something else at the same time in one window.

Now, I know you can fiddle with windows and position and resize them that way - but it's just cumbersome.

If someone would come up with such Safari Extension and put it in Safari Extensions Gallery - they would be the best.

Devs, any takers? :apple:

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So you want two different websites in the same window and tab?

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Better touch tool supports window snapping, which you may find helpful.
    Video of how it works here.

You can download bettertouchtool here. This application also lets you add many gestures and is actually a must have for anyone with a mac that supports multitouch in my opinion.

It looks like they also have an application called bettersnaptool, but whats the point in paying for that if the basic functionality is in bettertouchtool which is free?

4. Rowf macrumors regular

I use bettersnap tool and rate it as stable and useful.

There are a lot of options in the preferences for shortcuts and cusomisation and it also has an option to maximise windows and return them to their previous size and position after use.

It's available on the app store at a pretty good price.

5. eat me thread starter macrumors member

Yes. In Full-Screen. If you take, for example, iPages full-screen and view two side by side - imagine that in Safari.

I'm running BTT already, it does address this problem, but it's not really as clean, since it still has two different toolbars etc.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just open two windows and resize as needed?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apparently that's "just cumbersome." More cumbersome than starting a new (albeit appropriately titled) thread seeking a technical solution for a DIY fix.

8. eat me thread starter macrumors member

You guys are funny. When you'r reading a PDF, do you think it would be OK to move two preview windows side by side as well, instead of having it display document with two pages on a screen?

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Command-N. Resize windows as needed. Next patient!

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

11. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

That's a totally ridiculous analogy.

You're not talking about viewing two pages of the same document side by side, you're talking about viewing two different PDF documents. In which case, yes, it makes much more sense to have it as two separate windows, side by side.

Check out SizeUp. It does keyboard-shortcut window resizing.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Wow! I'm not sure where the snarkiness is coming from on this one. I actually think it's a decent idea.

Running full screen browsing on a huge widescreen monitor will look ridiculous. There would be so much open space on the sides of the web pages.

Most websites were designed (rightly or wrongly) for narrow viewing. It would be nice to be able to run two separate tabs simultaneously, with a split down the middle. So instead of having a single webpage using 2560x1440 pixels, you'd have two pages running 1280x1440. That's more like a long sheet of paper.

13. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I totally agree - I think running Safari on such a large screen in fullscreen is stupid because of what you mention above...

14. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Seems like a nice idea. I would use this all the time. I usually resort to the multiple browser window method, but then if I temporarily go to another application my setup is lost, and eventually I lose track of how many browser windows I have open, leading to much, much window clutter.

15. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

Pretty much what I was thinking.

16. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I just think you'll end up with huge white sides on a webpage and the actual page will be the size of a postage stamp in comparison. Webpages aren't formatted to be read and take advantage of gigantic screens like the one on the current iMac...

17. interrobang macrumors 6502

Multiple documents = windowed interface. Problem solved 30 years ago.

Setting up some kind of split-screen view is way more complicated than just dragging a window over. With windows, you have Spaces, Expose, minimizing to the Dock, and all sorts of powerful tools you can use to manage them.

18. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

If anyone's interested something like this can be done with applescript.

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
    	set screen_res to bounds of window of desktop
    end tell

set a to item 1 of screen_res
    set b to item 2 of screen_res
    set x to item 3 of screen_res
    set y to item 4 of screen_res

set default_window to "http://google.com"

tell application "Safari"
    	set the window_count to count (the windows whose zoomable is true)
    	repeat while window_count is not greater than 1
    		set window_count to window_count + 1
    		make new document with properties {URL:default_window}
    	end repeat
    	set bounds of window 1 to {a, b, x / 2, y}
    	set bounds of window 2 to {x / 2, b, x, y}
    end tell
    You could then create a service in Automator that runs this script and set a shortcut for it in Keyboard Preferences.

19. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Check out "Better Snap Tool" in the Mac app store. End thread.

20. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think you're reading in too much to what the OP is asking for. I think the OP wants to run in Full-screen mode, but still have multiple browser windows available. It would be similar to Windows where you can cascade all open windows of a particular application. Macs don't really function that way, where each browser window is separate.

21. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

There is a split screen extension for Chrome that might give you what you want.

22. interrobang macrumors 6502

I understood that perfectly. That sort of Frankenstinian split-full-screen setup is exactly what I think is ridiculous. We have windows for that.

Lots of Mac apps have window-arrangement function, including Excel (where do you think Windows Office got the idea?) and BBEdit/TextWrangler.

I find that option very convenient in those apps that offer it, and I think it would be a much better option than some kind of windowless split screen arrangement. I think more apps should offer that kind of function.

Attached Files:

• bbe.png
      bbe.png
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views: