Guys, I need your advise please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I read Apple isn't planning on doing a recall, I was a bit dismayed. I know a lot of you guys say you don't have any or few problems with your phones, but mine's bugging me. You're all making me feel like I'm overreacting. I decided to make an appointment with the Genius Bar and try my hand at getting my phone replaced. Do you guys think they'll do it? My phone's killing me. The first photo shows my phones display after holding it in my hand. It says I have EDGE, but I can't connect to anything. Also note, I have NO bars. The second picture is about 30 seconds after placing my phone on my table. Do you think if I show the Genius how my phone responds he will replace it? I'm afraid of driving ALL the way to the Apple store and him/her denying me a replacement.

Attached Files:

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Have you tried the latest 4.0.1 update and see if maybe you might get some sort of relief?

3. Chimpware macrumors regular

4. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The forums make the update sound horrible, making your phone show even crappier coverage. I guess I should try it before I head to the Genius bar. But also, I don't see how the update fixes the antenna itself? If I can't access data while holding it now, will the upgrade fix that?

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

There are going to be MANY of us in the same boat if Apple has indeed fixed the problem with the hardware, and does not offer a recall.

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I would try the update first and see if it helps out. If it helps your issue then you avoid the trip to the Apple Store, if it doesn't they can at least see that you tried that.

Also if you don't what's to stop them from saying "try the update and give it a couple of hours".

7. andy9l macrumors 68000

I wouldn't be afraid of them denying you a replacement. I'd be afraid that every single replacement will have the same issue.

There's a small number of people claiming they have death-grip proof iPhone 4's, and that may be true in their signal-rich area, but I'm yet to see solid, absolute proof of death-grip-proof iPhone 4 (in any area).

Video or it didn't happen I know, I know ... but 13/13 (+1 this week) personal colleagues & friends, the whole blogging community and major media companies have solid proof against these claims. Even my local Apple & O2 store display phones suffer severely from it.

PS. The odd YT/Apple addict who's stuck tape over the steel, or holding it with a sleight of hand is not proof.

8. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Just finished updating, here are the results. I'll sometimes get 2 bars on 3G when it's not being held. I now think Genius is going to say I just get crappy service where I live. I went from five bars to two, if lucky! Note that the data problem is still going on.

Attached Files:

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

It wouldn't hurt to ask.. my boss got her phone replaced because supposedly people couldn't hear her on the other end. Apple swapped it out but couldn't really test to see whether that was true or not. I probably wouldn't use the reception issue as a reason (even though it's absolutely valid). Seems they're trained to give some bs excuse for it.. I'd probably update too since they're probably going to say update first and come back if the issue continues.

10. Sustainability macrumors regular

If you are able to reproduce this problem at the location of the Apple store (try the parking lot), then you will probably be able to get a replacement.

However, if it doesn't do this at the store, then you are probably going to have a tough time getting a replacement.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

They will absolutely ask if you've done the update. I see OP did it already but for future reference, in my experience the first thing they ask when you approach the genius bar is when your last restore was. If it isn't recent they will either send you home to back up your data and do a restore or if you don't care to lose your data they'll restore it for you. Only then will they consider a replacement.

OP: I suggest waiting to hear what Apple has to say at tomorrow's press event and then decide what to do with it.

12. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks for the advice. I called them, the lady was pretty nice. I made an appointment for this Saturday, just in case. I'll do a restore now, just because I won't have time for it tomorrow. UGH.