Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Context:
1. It’s MBA 2020 i3.
2. I need a laptop now but I can make do without it for 6 months.
3. The problem is: in 6 months if the laptop that was released was a macbook pro for $1200+, it’ll be out of my price scope.
4. It could not even be a laptop for all we know.
6. Want to use the laptop for at least 4 years, don’t care about resale value.
5. I’m okay with the performance of the current macbook air, and will not miss using iOS and IpadOS apps on mac, but don’t want to use a device that doesn’t get new system versions (not just security updates) for the next 4 years at least.
6. Don’t want to lose 3rd party app support and updates.
7. Apple said good things about continuing to support intel macs but everyone on MacRumors says that they said the same thing about PowerPC -> intel and it turned out to be a lie.

opinions?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I think you should wait, and here is why — according to Apple, an Arm Mac will be released within 6 months. Regardless of what type of machine this is, the current Air will probably be discounted more at that time. So if the machine is not what you want, or is priced out of your budget, you should have the option of picking up the current Air for less.

I have a 2017 Air myself and was contemplating getting the 2020 Air i5, but I’m planning on waiting now.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Guess I don't understand this part. If you can wait 6 months then you don't need it now.

My laptop is coming up on 7 years old, but it still works, so I'm waiting for the new apple chip macs. If my laptop died tomorrow and I needed a new one, I'd be fine buying the current offerings.

adrianstuartt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
I really like my i3 Air, but i felt a need to modify it to get the most value from it. If _i_ were not comfortable modifying the device and in your position, i might wait for ARM. That said, waiting 'just a few months' for the next big thing is a never ending cycle with computers, so ordinarily i'm off the mindset to just get what you need, now.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I think you should wait, and here is why — according to Apple, an Arm Mac will be released within 6 months. Regardless of what type of machine this is, the current Air will probably be discounted more at that time. So if the machine is not what you want, or is priced out of your budget, you should have the option of picking up the current Air for less.

I have a 2017 Air myself and was contemplating getting the 2020 Air i5, but I’m planning on waiting now.
Nice thinking.. but tbh I’d rather get the MBA now than wait for a possible discount.
[automerge]1592974922[/automerge]
I really like my i3 Air, but i felt a need to modify it to get the most value from it. If _i_ were not comfortable modifying the device and in your position, i might wait for ARM. That said, waiting 'just a few months' for the next big thing is a never ending cycle with computers, so ordinarily i'm off the mindset to just get what you need, now.
What do you mean by “modify it”?
[automerge]1592975244[/automerge]
Guess I don't understand this part. If you can wait 6 months then you don't need it now.

My laptop is coming up on 7 years old, but it still works, so I'm waiting for the new apple chip macs. If my laptop died tomorrow and I needed a new one, I'd be fine buying the current offerings.
I mean that I do have use for it now that is important, and will be uncomfortable without a laptop, but I can do it (albeit very uncomfortably) with what I currently have if the wait is worth it. Now I’d consider the wait worth it only if the intel MBA won’t last me the 4 years (what I mean by that is receiving the new big system update every year, along with 3rd party app support/updates).
because even tho I do need a laptop, I don’t want to pay $900+ for a machine that I’ll use for only 2 years.
P.S. I don’t care About future macs having certain future features being ARM only/Better battery life/performance etc. Only the support part. Will I get the normal life span out of my machine?
[automerge]1592975271[/automerge]
If you have 6 months where you don't need it, I imagine an Arm based Mac will be available by then.
An air though? Pro? What price? That is what’s holding me off.

Last edited:

adrianstuartt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
What do you mean by “modify it”?

My MBA got loud just watching 1080p60 youtube in safari. turns out, the heatsink was milled out and the gap was made up by filling it with extra thermalpaste. the mod is trivial, but could affect your warranty; repaste with a copper shim between the cpu dies and the heatsink.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
My MBA got loud just watching 1080p60 youtube in safari. turns out, the heatsink was milled out and the gap was made up by filling it with extra thermalpaste. the mod is trivial, but could affect your warranty; repaste with a copper shim between the cpu dies and the heatsink.
Hmm.. I don’t want to do this tbh
Was it annoyingly loud? Hot?

adrianstuartt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
Hmm.. I don’t want to do this tbh
Was it annoyingly loud? Hot?

There's just poor thermal transfer to the heatsink so the cpu temp will fly up pretty quick. the fan got loud enough to compete with the video i was watching at ~50% volume. pretty sure the fan was going full bore. i agree, nobody should NEED to do this mod. but, i really liked this MBA so it was worth it to me, and i am very happy with the results.

The overall experience with the thing has been too great. between the Retina display and the great speakers, i can watch movies on this thing all night.

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
There's just poor thermal transfer to the heatsink so the cpu temp will fly up pretty quick. the fan got loud enough to compete with the video i was watching at ~50% volume. pretty sure the fan was going full bore. i agree, nobody should NEED to do this mod. but, i really liked this MBA so it was worth it to me, and i am very happy with the results.

The overall experience with the thing has been too great. between the Retina display and the great speakers, i can watch movies on this thing all night.
Nice! Tbh i don’t really mind the fan noise if the heat and performance are good. But I’m more concerned about the support drop with the upcoming change. I hope apple will speak more on this to be honest.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Context:
1. It’s MBA 2020 i3.
3. The problem is: in 6 months if the laptop that was released was a macbook pro for $1200+, it’ll be out of my price scope.

Old adage:

If you need a computer now, buy the one you need.
If you can wait for something coming later, then you don't need a computer now.

The base MBA will still be available in six months whether Apple releases something or doesn't.

So why not wait for more information?

7. Apple said good things about continuing to support intel macs but everyone on MacRumors says that they said the same thing about PowerPC -> intel and it turned out to be a lie.

opinions?
There are lots of uninformed posters here on MacRumors.

Apple announced the move to Intel at WWDC in 2005.
The last feature-update for PPC was OSX 10.5.8 released Aug 5, 2009.
That OS continued to receive security updates/patches as late as May 2012.

Four years of feature updates and a total of seven years of security patches seems reasonable to me.
Maybe some feel that's unreasonable, but that's a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Old adage:

If you need a computer now, buy the one you need.
If you can wait for something coming later, then you don't need a computer now.

The base MBA will still be available in six months whether Apple releases something or doesn't.

There are lots of uninformed posters here on MacRumors.

Apple announced the move to Intel at WWDC in 2005.
The last feature-update for PPC was OSX 10.5.8 released Aug 5, 2009.
That OS continued to receive security updates/patches as late as May 2012.

Four years of feature updates and a total of seven years of security patches seems reasonable to me.
Maybe some feel that's unreasonable, but that's a matter of opinion.
Tbh it’s good enough to me. Feature updates for 4 years is more than reasonable.. thanks for the input!

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
If it were me I would wait. If I were you, and I needed a something today, I would strongly consider a cheap PC laptop and see how it goes. Dell and HP offer great hardware within your price range. Sell it in three years to get an ARM MAC laptop in you feel the need. I would not invest in a platform that has limited longevity and will be abandoned in the foreseeable future. I have done that once and will never do it again. Apple cannot be trusted in this department. They need to transition as soon as possible and get its customer base to follow as soon as possible. I am a person who buys good specs to last with the expectation of it lasting at least 5 years -- hopefully longer. So, I am personally holding out for an ARM Macbook Pro 16.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Now I’d consider the wait worth it only if the intel MBA won’t last me the 4 years (what I mean by that is receiving the new big system update every year, along with 3rd party app support/updates).

No one except Apple knows how long Intel macs will get major OS updates. When the PowerPC to Intel transition happened, major OS updates did not come out every year, they came out once every two years. So, PowerPC macs only got one major OS update after Apple announced the transition to Intel macs in June 2005. This was Mac OS 10.5 Leopard in October 2007, less than two and a half years later.

It sounds like you can wait a little while until the new macs come out, so I recommend it.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Get one now. You'll be fine. Apple's not going to abandon you just because they come out with an ARM laptop. That would be financial suicide on their part. Remember, you're not the only one with an Intel MacBook. Millions of us have them, and will for a long time to come.

Reactions: ltb7

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Hard to know. Nobody can really say how long exactly Apple will continue to support Intel Macs. If they’re still selling Mac Pros and iMac Pros that cost thousands of dollars, they’d better support them for at least 4 years...though my opinion counts for nothing.

I just bought a MPB at the end of last year because I needed a laptop for my graduate program. I knew the magic keyboard MacBooks would be out fairly soon...but I didn’t want to lose 2 terms of my program waiting. I thought there was more value in having a solid Mac to use then versus only having it for half my program. I wish I had the new keyboard, but I think the timing mattered more. You just have to ask yourself if the same is true for you (though with the Apple silicon).

Hoff

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
Here's my random take on buying now vs later.

Think of our lifetimes, and how many devices we will buy (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) all combined.
Every 6 months you put off upgrading each one will save you thousands and thousands of after-tax dollars over the course of your life.

FWIW
? ? ?

Reactions: macintoshmac

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
If it were me I would wait. If I were you, and I needed a something today, I would strongly consider a cheap PC laptop and see how it goes. Dell and HP offer great hardware within your price range. Sell it in three years to get an ARM MAC laptop in you feel the need. I would not invest in a platform that has limited longevity and will be abandoned in the foreseeable future. I have done that once and will never do it again. Apple cannot be trusted in this department. They need to transition as soon as possible and get its customer base to follow as soon as possible. I am a person who buys good specs to last with the expectation of it lasting at least 5 years -- hopefully longer. So, I am personally holding out for an ARM Macbook Pro 16.
Tbh it seems very unlikely that they will just abandon everyone who poured dollars into their macs and not even give them 4 years of support.. everyone here says that they did it before, but it just seems very bad for business

Reactions: asv56kx3088

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
No one except Apple knows how long Intel macs will get major OS updates. When the PowerPC to Intel transition happened, major OS updates did not come out every year, they came out once every two years. So, PowerPC macs only got one major OS update after Apple announced the transition to Intel macs in June 2005. This was Mac OS 10.5 Leopard in October 2007, less than two and a half years later.

It sounds like you can wait a little while until the new macs come out, so I recommend it.
But since it got the update in 2007, and the next one that didn’t support it came out in 2009, then it basically was up to date for 3-4 years (2006-2009).. so it’s not like they dropped support in 2007
[automerge]1593218303[/automerge]
Get one now. You'll be fine. Apple's not going to abandon you just because they come out with an ARM laptop. That would be financial suicide on their part. Remember, you're not the only one with an Intel MacBook. Millions of us have them, and will for a long time to come.
I think this is the more likely scenario
[automerge]1593218354[/automerge]
Unless you desperately need a machine before september, I’d wait.
Who even knows when the air is coming out though, or what issues first gen is going to have. Rumors say that the first product is going to be a macbook pro 13”
[automerge]1593218406[/automerge]
Hard to know. Nobody can really say how long exactly Apple will continue to support Intel Macs. If they’re still selling Mac Pros and iMac Pros that cost thousands of dollars, they’d better support them for at least 4 years...though my opinion counts for nothing.

I just bought a MPB at the end of last year because I needed a laptop for my graduate program. I knew the magic keyboard MacBooks would be out fairly soon...but I didn’t want to lose 2 terms of my program waiting. I thought there was more value in having a solid Mac to use then versus only having it for half my program. I wish I had the new keyboard, but I think the timing mattered more. You just have to ask yourself if the same is true for you (though with the Apple silicon).
True. It sucks tho to buy a 999$ machine only to have it basically useless 2 years later, but I don’t think that this is likely to happen
[automerge]1593218534[/automerge]
Here's my random take on buying now vs later.

Think of our lifetimes, and how many devices we will buy (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) all combined.
Every 6 months you put off upgrading each one will save you thousands and thousands of after-tax dollars over the course of your life.

FWIW
? ? ?
That’s an interesting take.. but from a college student’s perspective, buying a cheap-ish machine now, then upgrading 4 years later to a better spec’ed machine for longevity is the only option tbh.. because like I said, buying a macbook pro at the end of this year for 1200+ (maybe even more) is out of my budget.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I’ve had the iPad Pro and keyboard. It’s not the same using Mac OS, too many work arounds to get the same thing done. If your waiting for the ARM laptop why not just get the iPad Pro and keyboard, at least with that you will have a touch screen? I’m glad I got my 2020 MBA.

I want to see the bugs work out, make sure intel does not make a big surge back, make sure this is really working for Apple. By no means do I want to be part of this experiment or their research development.

I will definitely wait a few years before I walk on the ship of the Apple processor laptop. The Apple intel laptops have a good track record that I’ll be enjoying until It’s time for a next upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianstuartt

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Context:
1. It’s MBA 2020 i3.
4. It could not even be a laptop for all we know.
6. Want to use the laptop for at least 4 years, don’t care about resale value.
5. I’m okay with the performance of the current macbook air, and will not miss using iOS and IpadOS apps on mac, but don’t want to use a device that doesn’t get new system versions (not just security updates) for the next 4 years at least.
6. Don’t want to lose 3rd party app support and updates.

opinions?
If you need a laptop now, then get a laptop now. It's quite simple, actually.

From past historical track, you don't want to get anything that's first gen from Apple. Even simply as waiting for the second gen/refresh will yield a much better product. Eg. 1st gen iPad -> 2nd gen iPad. 1st intel mac (32bit only) -> 2nd refresh (64bit and supported longer). So in reality, you probably want to pass on the first round of ARM Macs anyway. Let the enthusiasts be the beta tester. :)

And even if Apple pulled the plug from intel Macs tomorrow, the fact that they are intel means you can just bootcamp and install Windows. ;)

Mohamed Kamal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I’ve had the iPad Pro and keyboard. It’s not the same using Mac OS, too many work arounds to get the same thing done. If your waiting for the ARM laptop why not just get the iPad Pro and keyboard, at least with that you will have a touch screen? I’m glad I got my 2020 MBA.

I want to see the bugs work out, make sure intel does not make a big surge back, make sure this is really working for Apple. By no means do I want to be part of this experiment or their research development.

I will definitely wait a few years before I walk on the ship of the Apple processor laptop. The Apple intel laptops have a good track record that I’ll be enjoying until It’s time for a next upgrade.
I thought about getting the iPad pro, but tbh editing documents and true multitasking on iPad pro suck in my opinion.. I prefer a classic laptop.
also, some software that I’d wanna use I can’t get on an iPad pro
[automerge]1593222170[/automerge]
If you need a laptop now, then get a laptop now. It's quite simple, actually.

From past historical track, you don't want to get anything that's first gen from Apple. Even simply as waiting for the second gen/refresh will yield a much better product. Eg. 1st gen iPad -> 2nd gen iPad. 1st intel mac (32bit only) -> 2nd refresh (64bit and supported longer). So in reality, you probably want to pass on the first round of ARM Macs anyway. Let the enthusiasts be the beta tester. :)

And even if Apple pulled the plug from intel Macs tomorrow, the fact that they are intel means you can just bootcamp and install Windows. ;)
How is bootcamp on the MBA 2020 i3? How do you think it is going to be performing like 3 years from now?
[automerge]1593222200[/automerge]
Life is too short to wait for a product in a pipeline. Get the Air and enjoy how amazing it is. I love mine!
Ikr lol.. just do it

Reactions: Jack Neill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.