Other Guys is this a scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Hey guys I just received this email a couple days ago it was in my spam folder. My current iPhone doesn’t have this email under file. But I did have this email as an apple account a long time ago. I don’t see no charges on my debit card. Do you think it’s just a scam? I clicked on it and it just takes me to the Apple ID page. Which I didn’t sign into.

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Scam.

1) Icon for “Apple Store” contact is fake. They don’t have an icon.
    2) “Please visit a Cancel”
    3) “Team iTunes Store”
    4) No period after the word “period”
    5) It’s in your spam folder :p

I’m sure the sender’s mail address would also give it away (wasn’t in the screenshot).

You were right to check though. It definitely looks convincing at first glance, even if it was in spam.

3. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

As keysofanxiety pointed out, absolute scam. So many clues in there and, yeah, the sender's email would probably give it away (though that can be spoofed). If not that, then inspecting the URL of the hyperlinks they provided would definitely give it away.

You're braver than I am clicking on it in the first place. Good job not logging into it, though. That saved you a bunch of grief.

You do have multi-factor auth set up, right?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

On the bottom of the email, whoever falsely generated that spam email, can’t even spell the word ‘Current’ properly, they spelled it “Curent.”

5. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

It almost certainly was NOT an Apple server. It was a phishing attempt designed to obtain your Apple ID creds.

6. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

I’ve got a couple of similar emails as well. One recently, saying something about a $150 Spotify subscription. Lol

7. ET3SW macrumors regular

8. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I’m not sure to be honest with you

9. ET3SW macrumors regular

Do you have to use a code when signing into an Apple ID?

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Looks like a scam Brandon...

12. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

13. doboy macrumors 68020

Wow, at least put some effort into faking it. Haha

14. stafil macrumors 6502

Check the "raw email" and have a look at the actual email address, the mail server address, whether it passed SPF and DKIM tests, etc.

Or just trust that this has already been done automatically and that's why this ended up in your spam folder.

15. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Talk about lazy. The typo "visit a cancel" has been in these phishing emails since at least 2017:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8198311

Unfortunately if this has been going on for so long, that means it's working. Because if it wasn't working, they'd be trying something else by now.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In theory, you should actually able see if the E-mail came from Apple servers or not. And you can verify with customer service by giving them the SPC code from the email and I believe someone from IT can confirm if it’s legitimate or not.

17. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I get those all the time and just delete them. Now that I have the link to report them, I’ll start reporting them.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I also get them 2-3 times a year. Scam for sure. DO NOT follow any links, ever! If in doubt leave the email and go to you Apple account and make sure there are no charges.

19. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

It might be funny, but it's quite intentional. If they had better spelling & grammar, they would get more hits. But the additional people they would be catching are, for the most part, people smart enough not to get scammed. So while they'd get more responses, most of those would be time wasters. They intentionally use bad spelling and grammar to weed out the smarter people who are just time wasters from their point of view. They don't get as many responses this way, but the ones they do get are pretty much the audience they're targeting, those without the sense to think it looks wrong.

So congratulations Brandon! You were intelligent enough to question it. :D

20. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

No

21. sallenthornton macrumors regular

This is the 2nd email like this that I have received. This is the most recent attempt. [​IMG]