Guys, please help with my girlfriend's iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 24usedtorock, Jan 19, 2012.

1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

This is not a troll, please help.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 3GS, baseband 05.11.07. It is already unlocked, but the jailbreak on it is old & she can't get Cydia to work on it. We want to put a fresh jailbreak on it, get Cydia back, etc, and upgrade the software whilst preserving the carrier unlock (as we are international and can't use any US carrier).

What to do? The iOS version on it is 3.1.2. (7D11).

I swear this isn't a troll, if you help, we will show one picture. Please help me get out of the doghouse.

2. spin360 macrumors member

3. 24usedtorock, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

read the stickies on here and go to iclarified.com for detailed instructions then ask questions... ;)
    you will use redsn0w to create a custom package (which will conserve BB) of the ipsw with the latest firmware 5.0.1 for the 3GS and then dfu and insert it into your girls' iPhone. You can also use sn0wbreeze if needed instead.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use redsn0w 0.9.10b4 to build a no baseband firmware and upgrade/restore your phone to it.

Iclarified.com and/or redmondpie.com have step by step tutorial for you to do this.

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

7. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

What about this? http://www.coolestguyplanet.net/upg...-to-ios-5-and-preserve-baseband-with-redsn0w/

Download the latest official Apple stock IPSW iOS 5 for your iOS device:

iPhone 4 GSM
    iPhone 4 CDMA
    iPhone 3GS
    iPad 1
    iPod touch 3G
    iPod touch 4G

Upgrade iTunes

Update to the latest version of iTunes

Mac – iTunes Menu > Check for Updates
    Win – iTunes Help Menu > Check for Updates

Sync iPhone to iTunes

This will ensure you have an up to date backup of your iPhone in iTunes

Get the lastest redsn0w

Get the latest Redsn0w — Mac OSX redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b4 or Windows redsn0w_win_0.9.10b4

Upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 with redsnow

1) Launch redsn0w – click Extras

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no, you need to conserve baseband so you need to make it custom! look at my post above.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

based on some of his other threads not strange at all! VERY NORMAL!

10. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

What does DFU mean??

Guys,

Redsn0w 0.9.10b4 is saved to my desktop. I honestly cannot find a tutorial explaining exactly what I am attempting to do, you provided the site that apparently gives it without the direct target. What do I do from here??

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

man either you are really lazy or you are really bad at basic searching; either way I don't recommend you do anything and leave it to someone that knows more than basic computer skills...

Here is the detailed instructions you didn't "find":
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=17344

12. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

my iphone is already jailbroken and i am NOT on 5.0.1...... i am on 3.1.2.............. as the first post indicates.

----------

5.0.1 (3GS): iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

Do I choose this one?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that doesn't matter, you said you want to update to the latest then follow the instructions...
    ----
    yes. No more hand holding from me though GL.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

My recommendation is to stay where you are or pay someone to do it for you. I can't believe even you were given a detail instruction and you still don't know what to do. :D

15. noiceT macrumors 6502a

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

for me the issue is not so much the hand holding, but the lack of interest of reading and trying to understand what the H he is doing, he just wants to get it done without reading beforehand.

17. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Whatever Carl. I Preserved the baseband. waiting for the restore to finish then apparently im ready to use redsn0w.

18. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

I did everything as instructed. I jailbroke, I saw the silly pineapple boot logo, but I still get the gray first-time apple screen and can't find cydia to try installing ultrasnow.... should i take the sim card out, i followed everything exactly as worded but it got unclear after step 14

19. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Really don't know what to do. I restored iTunes to my preserved BB, but I can't get the jailbreak/Cydia software on it.

----------

[​IMG]

after i preserved bb by hitting shift in itunes, selecting no bb, restarting, when i try to jailbreak, i always get the above... then phone is back in the gray itunes menu saying no sim.

----------

Had to select that IPS manually, then jailbroke, now i see the jailbreak process that im used to. hope i preserved my bb right. just gotta verify that and try ultrasnow now.

20. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for not helping me finish it guys. You're all awesome. Did it on my own.

21. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

22. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

They pointed you in the right direction, otherswise you would still be stumbling in the dark.

All the information is out there, nobody is going to hold your hand, grow up.

23. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Hahaha!

I think he's just saying that because he don't wanna seal his part of the deal with the pics ;) Lol!

I mean, anyone can see that all the right information he wanted is in this thread, otherwise one needs to learn reading comprehension hehe..