Guys! Screen fades! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by artsukhinin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. artsukhinin macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

Hi Guys! I've got a new Macbook pro (17" 2011) delivered about 2 weeks ago.. And it had some strange fades on the screen. Like a bubble, but flat, internal. So it looked like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38644443/Mac_problem1.jpg
    See those two white lines going from the bottom?

Then I made a call to Apple and asked them to exchange it for a new one. I got it delivered today. Guess what? The same problem! :eek: So the new one looks even worse:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38644443/Mac_problem2.jpg

So, what's that? What's the problem? I googled it, but couldn't find anything like this. Help guys! Thank you!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what kind of screen is it?

3. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

Its an Antiglare 17" Macbook Pro 2011.
    Thanks for reply.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Send it back.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's a Macbook pro (17" 2011) anti-glare screen, since that's what the OP's post and pics show.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

makes sense i guess blaming it on glare would of been to easy of a guess

6. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

I have already tried to send it back but no joy.. The same thing, so I would like to know the reason. Thanks for reply.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would send it back as many times as needed to get a decent display. The uneven backlighting, while not entirely uncommon, isn't something you have to live with.

8. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

That's true. I will surely send it back. But still would like to know the reason. It's strange that I'm getting the second one with the same problem. What is it? Coincidental defect?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not sure what causes it found other threads when i goggle sopts on antiglare screen

like this one

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1075367

so your not alone but like GG said dont live with something that will bother you especially considering the price of the MBP

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

As others have said, send it back.

The MBP anti glare screens are not perfect. Most of them show some slight features when displaying a uniform background in the dark - in most cases this is not notable during normal use. The amount of inhomogeneity varies from screen to screen.
    Both screens in the screenshots show a rather high level of inhomogeneity, on bright backgrounds and with some ambient lighting. This is unusual in my opinion and should be replaced.

12. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Send it back to get a new one + some form of compensation.

13. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

What kind of compensation could it be? Because I really think I deserve it )

Thanks for your reply!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sometimes Apple has been known to reward a customer for their patience in dealing with problems by adding RAM or some other upgrade at no cost. It's not guaranteed, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

15. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

Good News! I will ask for sure! Thank you very much!

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I guess to each his own, but i don't see where you deserve anything other than a normally functioning computer that you paid for. Apple is sending you the new machines and you are not without your machine in the meantime. Other than the inconvenience of packing and mailing back, you haven't been without anything (including money or use of a computer) during this period, so I don't see where you have had to make a sacrifice to merit extras. Just my $0.02.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Customer satisfaction?

He is not entitled to any form of compensation, but it doesn't hurt to ask! It's a major annoyance, even if no direct monetary damage occurs.

18. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Well TC's time is wasted, as well as other resources (with shipping). That deserves some extra compensation imo.

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I see you point, but by that standard everyone whom has had to drive to the store for help is out time and gas and therefor should be compensated for their annoyance?? Customer satisfaction is what they are doing by trading out the system. It is a functioning system, albeit annoying, but they could deny the exchange based upon no known defect found, but Apple is willing to change out for such things as keyboard backlighting inconsistencies and such.

I just found it "annoying" that so many people feel a sense of entitlement in that they deserve something even when Apple has been quick to resolve and address issues. With other companies the op would be required to either return and re-buy the computer (and thus be without for a short period) or send it in for repair. They usually aren't as accommodating as Apple.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree! Far too many seem to have that sense of entitlement these days. I've had Apple do me favors of this kind in the past without me asking, as proactive way of saying "sorry you had problems"! I've never asked, but I wouldn't criticize someone if they chose to ask... respectfully.

21. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

I think you're being a little harsh here. If you buy something and it is defective and becomes a pain to get it fixed, your satisfaction with the product diminishes. If it diminishes too far, you won't buy a new computer next time, and maybe start posting negative reviews online or giving friends advice on other purchases to avoid apple. These are things a good company try to avoid. Certainly you can't expect them to give in to any stupid request, but if you're unhappy with a product, its never a bad idea to let that company know your unhappy. If that company feel its a reasonable complaint, they will probably try to make you happy. Since, they don't want people with reasonable complaints left unsatisfied, because then negative reviews from customers for good reasons will turn away yet more customers.

This is how the free market works. It is not entitlement.

22. artsukhinin thread starter macrumors newbie

artsukhinin

I think you are wrong. I had a lot of problems during this month I am trying to buy a computer. I have to call, to complain, to wait for response by email to pack it back, to write things on the box, to wait for TNT to take it back, to wait another week or two to get a new one. In one word I have to follow the process. It takes pretty much of my time. And tell you more that it really prevents me from working. And all this is their fault. And for sake I'm ordering the THIRD computer. Anyway I'm deeply disappointed in Apple.

Thanks for your comments.

23. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sorry for your issues, but you never said any of this in any of your posts. You stated you took delivery 2 weeks ago in the first post and noticed the issue and just got the second one and it is the same as the first, so I wouldn't equate that to lots of problems in a month (this is the only issue you mentioned so I wouldn't consider that lots of issues).

You shouldn't have to write anything on the box, ask for a prepaid shipping label and box and an express exchange so you aren't without a computer. In my mind that is an acceptable request and the right thing for Apple to do. Fulfillment of that request is the type of customer service is I would expect and not some sort of extra perk. When I got my early 2011, within 1 week the keyboard stopped working. I had to take time to repackage, go to the store to exchange, and swap out hard drives and RAM between the machines. Did I feel that I deserved some sort of special compensation, No, but I was just as inconvenienced.

I can see being upset, but it wasn't as if Apple did this on purpose, who's to say that they are even the responsible party, as the shipper may be at fault for handling it roughly??

I agree with GG in that if they offer it, that is great, but should I ask for it, expect it, or think I deserve it (as you stated you thought you did), No I don't think so.

Sorry if this offends you, but it is the way I think and feel it is this sort of entitlement that drives the prices so high and creates unnecessary expectations from Apple. If you had purchased from another manufacturer the same thing would have happened and they would probably be less than willing to send a new computer, but opt to repair your defective one, so I feel that Apple is going above and beyond in this sense (I work with people that go defective Dells from the get go and Dell would just repair only, not replace, and HPs that took 2 months to come back from repair).