Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I am getting my replacement ipad on Monday as well as a new airport exteme. Could you tell me the settings you guys are using that is working best for your ipad? I don't need it to be password protected either, I live 10 miles from the next closest house in the middle of the country. I also will be running a ps3, My dell pc with a g card, my ipod touch and a old dell desk top that will be running using ethernet and my apple tv. The extreme will be directly in the center of a 2 story old BIG farmhouse. But I picking up my linksys 3 year old 54gs router right now and getting full signal in the basement where I am 99% of the time. And this is also where my ps3 and apple tv are at.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
What is your primary use for the express? How do you plan on tying it into your network? Running a cable up to it?

It can only repeat wireless signals that are coming from an Apple airport, not a third party device.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I haven't made any changes to it since I set it up 2 years ago. Side note, if you ever use PPTP VPN, do NOT buy one. PPTP VPN has been broken for a few versions now and Apple just refuses to fix it or even acknowledge the problem.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I thought I remember reading somewhere that you had to name each network (g,n) or maybe the 2.4 and the 5ghz different names.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Hi. I am using both a Time Capsule linking to an AEBS (Airport Extreme Bas Station) to extend my network, and I have two Airport Expresses. So I have two networks in my house running in the 5Ghz N standard with is faster.

Simply plugin your new AEBS, your devices will find it. Give the AEBS a network name and your devices will see and all you have to do is to simply connect and away you go. Very easy.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I am not even sure what that is?
I haven't made any changes to it since I set it up 2 years ago. Side note, if you ever use PPTP VPN, do NOT buy one. PPTP VPN has been broken for a few versions now and Apple just refuses to fix it or even acknowledge the problem.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
No renaming the different bands is required? Somewhere i read that you should have the g and n use separate names or maybe it was the 2.4 and the 5 ghz different names. Any truth to that?
Hi. I am using both a Time Capsule linking to an AEBS (Airport Extreme Bas Station) to extend my network, and I have two Airport Expresses. So I have two networks in my house running in the 5Ghz N standard with is faster.

Simply plugin your new AEBS, your devices will find it. Give the AEBS a network name and your devices will see and all you have to do is to simply connect and away you go. Very easy.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
No renaming the different bands is required? Somewhere i read that you should have the g and n use separate names or maybe it was the 2.4 and the 5 ghz different names. Any truth to that?

Ah okay. I know what you mean. As I wrote, I have two networks in my house. Both are 5 Ghz and on the N standard. I have not experienced any disconnects. I have 3 Macs running. The iPad and my MBP are on the Time Capsule 5 Ghz-N, while my Mac Mini is on the other network as is my daughters Mac, but these two are on the Ghz-N standard. My iPhone is also on the time capsule but on G.

Now, the two Airport Extremes is my fall-back network that provides fill coverage in case the AEBS and Time Capsule has a gap. My iPad goes from network to network without any issue. The cool thing is that Apple is aware and probably tweaking the wifi drivers as I type this.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
So your saying that my Ipad will know to use N and my g only laptop will know to use g on there own?
Ah okay. I know what you mean. As I wrote, I have two networks in my house. Both are 5 Ghz and on the N standard. I have not experienced any disconnects. I have 3 Macs running. The iPad and my MBP are on the Time Capsule 5 Ghz-N, while my Mac Mini is on the other network as is my daughters Mac, but these two are on the Ghz-N standard. My iPhone is also on the time capsule but on G.

Now, the two Airport Extremes is my fall-back network that provides fill coverage in case the AEBS and Time Capsule has a gap. My iPad goes from network to network without any issue. The cool thing is that Apple is aware and probably tweaking the wifi drivers as I type this.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I got ya, so you do have your networks named differently?
For sure. This is how mine is set up. The iPad never goes down to the G network because I never registered it to the G. I told it to only register to the N networks. It can see the G but it never joins.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I believe that is Apple's recommended solution to some of the WiFi problems. I have my N running on 5ghz and my g on 2.4. Each one has a different network name but the same security settings. I have had ZERO problems like others are reporting with WiFi connectivity.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Good deal, thanks.
I believe that is Apple's recommended solution to some of the WiFi problems. I have my N running on 5ghz and my g on 2.4. Each one has a different network name but the same security settings. I have had ZERO problems like others are reporting with WiFi connectivity.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
THe nice thing is that most stuff will be fairly automatic. Just follow the dialog while setting up your network, everything should be just dandy!

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
Agreed - take out the box and turn it on. That simple. I've had 4 Linksys routers over the years and after 3 years on an Apple Router, would never go back. Enjoy !

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Like I said, I hope its that simple. Ive had enough problems already, i really don't need anymore.
Agreed - take out the box and turn it on. That simple. I've had 4 Linksys routers over the years and after 3 years on an Apple Router, would never go back. Enjoy !

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
How exactly do you set up different names for the different bands?

Simple.

When setting up the AEBS under Airport > Wireless tab

1. Wireless Network Name = xxx
2. Allow this network to be extended (check) = one day you might buy the Airport Express to extend this network. Doesn't hurt to check it now.
3. Radio Mode = 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g
4. Radio Channel Selection = Manual
5. Enter Wireless Network Name for 5GHz = xxx 5G (it will create the name as xxx (5 GHz). I just renamed it shorther)
6. Set your wireless security

Thats it for setting up different bands. If your devices have 802.11n, it will see both 'xxx' and 'xxx 5G' SSID's while 802.11b/g will see only 'xxx' SSID.

Good luck!

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I have an older 802.11n one that isn't dual band so I have it set in 802.11n mode, if the device doesn't use 802.11n it can't see the router, I make all b/g devices use my fios router. I haven't had a single issue with my iPad wifi signal, but that could be that I've only used it with an airport extreme.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
So its really that easy huh? Under radio channel selection, you leave that manual or change it to something else?
Simple.

When setting up the AEBS under Airport > Wireless tab

1. Wireless Network Name = xxx
2. Allow this network to be extended (check) = one day you might buy the Airport Express to extend this network. Doesn't hurt to check it now.
3. Radio Mode = 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g
4. Radio Channel Selection = Manual
5. Enter Wireless Network Name for 5GHz = xxx 5G (it will create the name as xxx (5 GHz). I just renamed it shorther)
6. Set your wireless security

Thats it for setting up different bands. If your devices have 802.11n, it will see both 'xxx' and 'xxx 5G' SSID's while 802.11b/g will see only 'xxx' SSID.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.