GV Mobile +

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by puffdc, Mar 21, 2011.

1. puffdc macrumors newbie

Is the app in Cydia better than the Google Voice app in The App Store? What are the benefits of either?

Thanks in advance!

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Google Voice for the iPhone was originally available just in Cydia. The one I liked was called GV Mobile (now called GV Mobile+). Apple changed a few rules around and now permits Google Voice applications in the App Store, including GV Mobile+. It's still made by the same developer and I believe is more up-to-date than the version in Cydia.

If your specifically talking about the difference between GV Mobile+ and Google's own app I'd say just get Google's app for now and decide if you want to pay for GV Mobile+ once the new update is out. Neither has really been updated often but it seems Sean Kovacs (GV Mobile dev) is working on a fairly sizable improvement. He doesn't get into what the changes are but I'm sure it'll be good.

Here's his website: http://www.seankovacs.com/

Some people in the App Store are giving GV Mobile+ bad ratings because they think Sean has abandoned the app. It's not true, they just haven't looked at his website to find out for themselves.

3. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I much prefer the interface of the GV Mobile + from the App store.
    The version in Cydia wasn't ass full featured when I had it, but I've since deleted it so cant speak for now.

The official Google app dials calls faster and connects faster, but its interface is inferior

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just use native Google's app. It's free and most importantly it has native push. Few extra bells & whistles offered by third party GV apps aren't worth it in my opinion.

5. LIVEFRMNYC, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

GV mobile + allows you to switch from multiple accounts. But the app itself is kind of buggy. Deleted it cause it just never worked right for me.

The Google voice app from the app store is the best quality and pushes text flawlessly. It just seriously lacks any real type of settings. I use this app for GV 100% of the time. Hasn't let me down yet, and I text and call a lot with it.

I also have GV Connect, it has almost all the settings possible and would probably be a great alternative to the app store version but, it has a MAJOR flaw. It just doesn't stay logged in and you have to log in(gmail & pass) everytime you open the app. I mainly just keep it installed just to change the GV settings instead of having to go to the browser.

So the combination of Google Voice app from the app store which works flawless, and GV Connect to change some settings every once in a while works great for me. I don't recommend GV Mobile + at all.

6. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I just wish it would keep the text conversations on the phone instead of having to load them (and wait) every time the app is opened.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

True, if your somewhere without signal and want to view the history of basically anything, your screwed.

I never been in that situation though.

8. bripab007 macrumors 6502

FYI: the new update for GV Mobile+ that just came out last night is awesome. Looks like it's practically re-written from scratch!

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Yes it does and I like it very much!

10. dlacar88 macrumors newbie

still buggy.

reading a text crashes the app.

many people having the same problem via itunes comments.

edit: selecting a text from the list crashes the app.

11. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

That doesn't sound good. I never use this app for texts so I didn't notice it.

12. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

13. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Interesting. I've been texting with it since last night and it hasn't crashed yet. Pretty nice update IMO.

14. dlacar88 macrumors newbie

i currently am using Phone GV Extension and SMS GV Extension, both from Cydia.

what i like abt the Phone GV Ext is the integration w/the native phone app. when i launch a call via the native app i have GV configured so the call is routed via carrier, gv direct, gv call back or ask before dialing - via a pop up at time of dial.

i split many of my calls across GV and my carrier so the option when dialing works for me.

GV mobile, i tried it on a whim. will for fixes and determine if it works for me in the future.