GV Phone Extension And Data Only iPhone............

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Neverbepeace, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Phone GV Extension

Does this work for data only iphones? I tried it and it fails to work. I have the ipad sim in my iphone and currently use talkative to call and receive (which is great) combine with sms gv extension......Im all set.

However, if the option to use the native call app is a possibility, that would be great. Any information that this works on data only iphones? Thanks

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Google Voice isnt VOIP.

3. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Hmmmm I wonder how iTouch 4 users are using this app.......

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

It doesn't work on its own. You will need a VOIP client like Softphone or Groundwire. You can use the native phone client to cause the call to be received through the VOIP client, but so far you can't get the calls to be received through the native phone client. I hope the dev has plans to add in a VOIP client like softphone or Talkatone. That would be sweet and complete his GV integration.

5. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Ahhhh....thanks for the info.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Does Phone GV Extension use MINUTES or DATA for the entire OUTGOING call "voice conversation?" I know it uses DATA for some function because with data turned off it doesn't dial, I'm just not sure how much data it is using.

I want to port my number to GV and put my iPhone onto AT&T PAYGO but want to use as little data as possible, if any at all.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Do this, turn on airplane mode and then turn on your wifi (via sbsettings). This allows you to have wifi with the cellular modem turned off.

Then if what you want still works you know it isn't using the celldata or sms to do it.

8. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

It uses minutes just like any other call.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, but it also uses data (if you turn off data it will not function). Trying to find out if the data is used for the entire call. I want to switch to AT&T prepaid and I need to limit data use. If every phone call is using minutes AND data it is self-defeating for my use.

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Im pretty sure it doesnt use data at all... only for push etc. When you dial a number with GV, it calls a designated google number, then the party you are trying to reach. At no point is that on a data network.

Besides, we know this wouldnt work because you cant use DATA on Verizon and make a call - google voice works on verizon.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Talkatone lets you use google voice # to call people with voip

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It obviously DOES use DATA because if you turn off all data (3G, DATA & WIFI) it errors out and won't dial. Turned DATA and/or WIFI back on and it works. So it uses DATA for something, I just don't know for what or how long when a call is active.

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yea, and 90% of the calls sound like crap.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I KNOW THIS. It works with any type of data. WIFI, 3G or whatever. It does NOT work with NO data so it DOES require data.

What I am trying to find out HOW MUCH data it is using. Example: Is it using data for the ENTIRE phone call or just to connect the call. Obviously when near WIFI it isn't an issue but when on a 100MB data plan it IS an issue.

15. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I dunno, get better wifi. Mine works fine 90% of the time

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Sheesh .... Dontcha get it? I'm not interested in using Talkatune on WIFI. I'm interested in using my phone in the outside world like in a car, a bus, a train a cab etc. I'm sure WIFI may be decent but unfortunately I have no WIFI when I drive or go to many places and without "decent WIFI" 90% of the Talkatune calls sound like crap according to most people who use it and despite that helpful information it wasn't anywhere near answering my simple original question. :rolleyes:

My original question was:

Which has nothing to do with WIFI or TALKATUNE.

Speaking of GV Phone Extension, and answering my own question, according to the developer it DOES use and require data to verify it was purchased with each use as well as to verify the GV account with Google to login to make the call.

So YES, DATA IS REQUIRED to use GV Phone Extension and no, it doesn't use data during the call itself.

17. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I do not know the answer to your question but I have a suggestion. Reset your cellular data counter (Settings > General > About) and then place a short 1-2 minute call while on 3G.

Note the accrued usage after the call. Then reset the counter, place another call that is double the length of the initial short call and see if the data usage grew proportionately.

18. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Agree that Talkatone is crap. Terrible voice quality, when it even works. And the UI looks like something a kid designed. It's horrid.

I've been using Groundwire ($10) with a SIPgate account to push calls to/from Google Voice. It works much better, not perfect, but much better.

As for the data thing - you are right. If you are out and about you are going to need a cellular data connection. EDGE is fine even, you don't need 3G for the small amount of data those extensions use.

19. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Nobody said anything about you. My response was towards the guy who said "Google Voice isnt VOIP."
    GJ I'm glad you realized your mistake when you said it in bold.

20. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I'm curious to know how to set this up and the quality compared to the likes or talkatone or textfree? Thanks

21. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I've found the quality to be vastly superior to Talkatone. I won't use TextFree - had bad experiences with earlier versions and it seems to me adding voice to the text thing is just a bad idea. YMMV.

To set it up is easy - register for a free SIPgate 'One' account. (You'll need a cell phone to receive the invite code.) With this you will receive a DID (a real phone number which can be called). Simply add that number as a forwarding phone in Google Voice, verify it, and woolah. It is a shame GV does not do direct SIP forwarding (only to Gizmo5...) so the DID is a must.

You can use any number of SIP clients to receive the calls. I use Groundwire which costs $10, and I don't believe anything else comes close. It's a business grade SIP client with so many bells and whistles it's hard to believe. There is a popular free one for jailbroken iPhones as well, can't remember the name, if you want to try and save a few bucks give it a shot. One nice thing with Groundwire is it has a 'Google Voice' account profile already setup. You can have it automatically place all outgoing calls through GV, etc.

Talkatone is pretty bad I'm surprised so many people seem fond of it.

22. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Talkatone on 3G is not very good. Sipgate might be a little better, but even Sipgate's quality is lacking, both on 3G and WIFI. I haven't tried skype in a while, but last time I did the quality was not very good either. The only SIP client that has been very good in terms of quality has been gizmo5, but unfortunately, since being purchased by Google, registration is no longer possible. Gizmo on 3G will depend upon the quality of the 3G connection. To get a good connection, nice call quality, like if on a regular phone, you are going to need something like at least 0.7kb/s both ways. If you get that or above in download, you will hear others very well, if you get it or above in upload, others will hear you well. If you don't get 0.7 up, at least, which is not uncommon with ATT's shoddy network, people will hear what your saying in a chopped up manner. The lower the connection, the more unintelligible you will become. So right now, VOIP on 3G is highly unreliable. The networks need to improve quite substantially before it will become widespread. VOIP on Wifi can be excellent.

As for Groundwire, it is by far the best VOIP client on the Appstore in my experience, and it works with pretty much all the SIP providers, like Sipgate, Gizmo, etc.; it also has google voice integration. On of the really cool features it has is you can receive and place multiple calls at the same time; you can even conference them, or transfer them off to someone else (and of course it runs in the background).

23. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Then something is wrong with the software. It should NOT be using any data to make a phone call via GVoice. Verizon has Google voice and data while in voice calling doesnt work at all.

Its possible its trying to sync before its making your call so GV indicates you had a dialed call. On my android phone I can disable Sync, but not sure if that would fix THIS issue.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's not "my software." According to the DEV here is where it uses data:

What information do the extensions send and to where?

Your GV username and password are ONLY sent to Google.com for obtaining authentication tokens;
    • Your phone number is ONLY sent to Google Voice when you place a call through GV, because GV needs the forwarding phone number when doing so;
    • A Device ID generated for license verification purpose is sent to this website for validating your registration; this ID consists of 12 case-insensitive alphabets, which only contains a very small piece of info of your hardware ID.

25. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Thats strange, but I guess that explains it.