GX1 vs NEX 5N

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dwd3885, Sep 2, 2012.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

So I'm switching from a T2i to either the GX1 or NEX 5N. Mainly because I want a smaller camera. I know the image quality of these two will be fairly similar but I'm not sure.

Not of the time I just shoot my 3 year old daughter. I shoot in PA mode mainly. I don't really need a ton of features, just great image quality. I can get the Lumix for about $50 cheaper after purchasing an external flash for both because I like to bounce the flash.

I don't do a ton o super low light photos, I just love the quality of the Rebel.

Which Camera would be better? Lumix $50 cheaper or NEX?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Have you considered getting an EOS M? You can reuse your Canon DSLR lens via an adapter...or just use the small lenses made for the M.

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I was just deciding between the same 2 cameras. I do have a lot of micro4/3 lenses as I own a gh2 and a af101 video camera. I wanted a small camera to bring with me on location when I'm filming and the NEX just fit in my side pocket on my kaki shorts. It's a thight fit though.
    Coming from the gh2 I'm a little disappointed in the AF abillity of the Sony. I get more out of focus shuts of my kids than before, but the keepers looks fantastic. I chose the Sony for portability and a little bit better IQ

4. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

GX1 if you want a better selection of native lenses, much faster autofocus.

NEX 5N if you want to use more manual lenses. Focus peaking, larger sensor makes legacy lenses nicer to use on the NEX.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I know people argue whether full-frame sensors are worth it or not, and whether sensor size really matters in a DSLR. With larger sensors, not much. But between APS-C and Micro Four Thirds systems, the gap is much greater.

The NEX-5N is a much better camera than the GX1 and will make better images, solely because it has a much bigger sensor. When buying a MILC I simply do not consider anything that is a Micro Four Thirds camera because of the image quality and depth of field reduction. The big difference is that the NEX-5N has a same size sensor and therefore relatively similar image quality as your T2i, while the GX1 will have a lesser high ISO performance as well as lack of a shallow depth of field.

That being said, the two main camera lines that you should look at are the NEX lines and the new EOS-M line. Both cameras give access to adapters which work with a bigger system of lenses; with the NEX line, you have the alpha/Minolta mount adapter, one of which can also provide a phase-detect autofocus system, and the EOS-M gives access to the EF mount lenses with fully working autofocus.

The NEX lineup is more mature in terms of both the camera body and lenses, while the EOS-M might be a mixed bag but certainly gives you the option of retaining the current EF lenses that you already have.

I'd get the NEX-5N with the external viewfinder if I were you. It should help you get used to the camera system. If price is a concern then the NEX-F3 is also very formidable. If you're ardent on keeping your EF lenses, then get the new and upcoming EOS-M.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the GX1, I think it has more native lenses available and the last time I looked into the 5N it was very slow in autofocusing. While the 5N is a smaller camera consider how the the lens sticks out and it being off centered can give the user more hand fatigue then they were expecting

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Another vote for the GX1, that is a very nice camera.

8. pna macrumors 6502

I'll put in a vote for the NEX-5N, with the big-time caveat that I haven't used any other mirrorless camera for comparison. I really, really love the thing. I haven't had issues with the autofocus speed, but I don't tend to shoot things that are moving around really quickly either. In my one experience shooting my friend's two year old twins at the playground, though, I came away with some of my favorite pictures of them with any camera. Part of the speed of autofocus may be assisted by having the 50mm/1.8 prime, though, which I find to be quite a bit sharper than the kit lens that it comes with.

With a few tweaks to the menus or other features enabled with a firmware update, they could make that camera just about perfect. Unfortunately, I see no indication that they understand what those tweaks should be, or are planning such updates.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The stats between the two are pretty similar and depending on who you read then the other one is the better camera. Everything points to the NEX have having better image quality though.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-GX1-vs-Sony-NEX-5N
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GX1/verdict.shtml
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42095945

For me, when it's this close of a call, the camera's aesthetics come into to play, and I just can't get behind the feel or the look of the Sony. I know it's the least scientific method, but that's how I feel. :p

10. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry if I keep saying the same thing, but I'd seriously wait three weeks to see what's released at photokina. The GX may get an update, but more interesting may be the PEN line if it gets the same sensor as the OM-D, which could be very compelling cameras at reasonable prices, or it could cause the older cameras, such as the GX1 to see a price drop.

11. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, waiting would be prudent although the rumor is that the GX2 will be released after Photokina. Having the OMD sensor in the E-PM2 or E-PL5 would be awesome. Again, the native lens options for either Panasonic or Olympus bodies gives the OP tremendous options.