Gym Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SLQ03, Mar 31, 2015.

1. SLQ03 macrumors member

Who else is mostly looking forward to the watch replacing their phone for the gym/working out?

This is the main reason I'm getting the watch. Sure I could have just continued to use my tired old shuffle, but after I went with the Beats Bluetooth earbuds, I haven't looked back. It's going to be great to not have to fumble with my naked 6 during my workouts.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Does the watch hold music alone or does it have to stream from the iphone?

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Me! (raises hand)

From what I understand, there is a space of 2 GB available for music.

4. SLQ03 thread starter macrumors member

From what I understand, there is a space of 2 GB available for music.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Which is plenty if you ask me. Also, if your gym has WiFi, then you can stream. Would have been a deal breaker for me if it couldn't be used as a standalone. Still crossing my fingers for Spotify on the watch.

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Given the popularity of Spotify, I don't think it will be long before we see it on the watch.

6. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

The problem for me is I don't know if the watch will natively track sets/reps for weightlifting. I think I'll still need a phone for that.

7. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Yup. Which is plenty if you ask me. Also, if your gym has WiFi, then you can stream. Would have been a deal breaker for me if it couldn't be used as a standalone. Still crossing my fingers for Spotify on the watch.[/QUOTE]

I think that the WiFi on the Watch is not for connecting to internet, but rather to only the Watch.

Also, WiFi is a necessary part of the new Bluetooth spec.

--

I scratched my iPhone in the gym. Argh. But don't leave it in the car or locker either - maybe I'm paranoid.

8. SLQ03 thread starter macrumors member

I think that the WiFi on the Watch is not for connecting to internet, but rather to only the Watch.

Also, WiFi is a necessary part of the new Bluetooth spec.

--

I scratched my iPhone in the gym. Argh. But don't leave it in the car or locker either - maybe I'm paranoid.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that if your gym has WiFi, then the watch can communicate with your phone, if your phone is also connected to the WiFi. But, yeah the watch alone cannot connect to a WiFi signal. All in all, I'll be content with the internal storage for music.

I'm just as paranoid about leaving my phone in a locker. I always try to get one at the entrance of the locker room.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The watch won't connect to your gyms wifi. It uses wifi to directly connect to your phone only.

10. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

The point is, you can greatly extend the range with which your watch can connect to your iPhone and get internet, if your iPhone is connected to a wifi network. So if one were connected to their gym's wifi network using their iPhone, they could be able to store it in a locker and connect their watch to it.

11. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I haven't read much on the details of this, but I'm imagining it'll be a situation where the phone gets on the wifi and privately announces itself on the network in a way that your watch can latch onto it without joining the network explicitly.

That's my hope, actually.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Actually, the point is that it doesn't work that way. It doesn't matter if your phone is connected to a wifi network. The watch and the phone connect to each other directly, not over an existing network.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Exactly. And this makes the connection much more secure. There can be no man-in-the-middle attacks at the router when the iPhone->Watch doesn't go through the router.

----------

Just yesterday, I was at the gym and a member lost his iPhone. He had wireless earbuds and was looking around for his phone. His iPhone was in his pocket at one time - at one machine his phone fell out of his pocket - didn't realize it, as the music kept playing... he went to machine after machine... then the music stopped. He was out of range. He went looking for his phone - couldn't find it. He asked all gym members around what happened to his iPhone. Nobody knew. He thought it might have been stolen.

Luckily - it was seen under a machine by gym management and they brought it to lost-and-found.

But that's a situation that wearing the Watch will avoid.

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This is one of my major reasons for wanting the watch, so I definitely am ready.

15. Vundu, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

16. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I've been eyeing this app. Trying to decide if I really want to track my sets and reps, or if I want to continue to wing it. After competing in a couple bodybuilding contests and tracking every calorie eaten and rep lifted, I'm kind of enjoying the "wing it" approach.

But I like apps and technology so we'll see.

http://www.repsandsetsapp.com

17. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

so you're saying it only connects using Bluetooth to save battery?

18. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

19. bbeagle, Apr 1, 2015

bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I don't think that article is correct.

On the developer boards (which I can't link to here), there's mention that the iPhone talks DIRECTLY to the watch through wifi if out of bluetooth range, much the same as a wifi hot spot and how continuity works.

20. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Oh really? Well, I'm certainly not a developer. I've read several different articles and they all position it just like the article I posted. But perhaps they are perpetuating the same misperceptions.

Would love more data/documentation on exactly how the Wifi is supposed to work! Share if you have it!

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yup. Which is plenty if you ask me. Also, if your gym has WiFi, then you can stream. Would have been a deal breaker for me if it couldn't be used as a standalone. Still crossing my fingers for Spotify on the watch.[/QUOTE]

Yep waiting on the beats music app so I can stream my music from my phone to my watch. I have never bought an album or song in my life. These streaming services are God sent.

22. bbeagle, Apr 1, 2015

bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

For example, since iOS 8, AirPlay works using peer-to-peer wireless. No wireless network needs to exist. Same with Continuity between macs, tablets and phones. (but it ALSO works through a regular wifi network too)

(The last link to Ars Technica gives the best info)

http://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/9/19/technical-details-of-peer-to-peer-airplay

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/ios-8...irplay-to-apple-tv-no-longer-needs-a-network/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/continuity-in-yosemiteios-8-which-network-powers-what-service/

Why wouldn't Apple use the features they developed with continuity and airplay on the watch and phone? It just makes sense. More secure than trying to connect both to a wifi network, which might be slow.

At least it's what people on the developer boards are saying. Apple has no confirmation one way or the other.

Here is an article by Apple about how peer-to-peer Apple Play works:
    http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apd8fc751f59

23. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Anyone know how far the watch can be from the iPhone and continue to stay connected?

24. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Awesome - thanks for the help. Should've dug deeper on my own. Looking forward to reading those articles. :cool:

25. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

The gym is the worst place to wear a watch. If you're lifting or doing yoga, the last thing you need is more jewelry or anything to constrict your body. You don't want to be wearing it when you're doing pushups, lifting weights, using a machine, etc.

You're just going to whack your watch at a metal bar and cry you scratched your watch.