Gym, What keeps you going during a cardio workout?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Jun 18, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well i just finished my little project which was to build a home gym, it has a everything you would expect plus a few more.I do 100% cardio workout until i lose a around 5-8kg then might do some wights (been training since 7 years but stopped the last 2). My problem is what to do during the 30-40 mins of cardio i do, i get bored really quickly, i am thinking of moving a TV in there and maybe hook an appleTV to it.

I would really like some input.

Thanks

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I put a TV into our workout room as well...

[​IMG]

Although I've recently upgraded it to 27", you get the idea. It really does help to have that going, or at the very least have some good music going.

30-40 minutes is about the maximum time I can spend on a treadmill without going insane, regardless of if there is a TV on or not.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a TV certainly could help. but for me i'd be music that can keep me going. a very specific playlist of my most upbeat songs that i know will help me keep going.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I look forward to feeling sore... I just keep going hoping to feel sore. To know that I'm gonna be fitter, faster... :eek: But it's been too long. I'm a bum.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then there's how it makes you look after a while. ;)

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Disassociation is for wimps. Get in touch with your body, and suck it up. :p

TV and/or a good set of head phones and a hot track work well. Meh, I just like doing it outdoors.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There's a certain truth to that. I used to use my iPod while lifting. I quit using it because my form was getting sloppy. So now I just go without. There's no question that working out isn't a great time, but I couldn't stop if I tried. I like what it does for me too much.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

During cardio?

The Rocky Story (maybe the best studio released workout CD ever made) and military cadences. :eek:

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Music keeps me going. I usually throw on some hard-pounding electronica or anything else with a fast, energetic flow to it. I find the BBC Essential Mixes to be good, as they are 2 hours in length of continuous music - find a good mix and you're set for a whole workout! :cool:

10. wongulous macrumors 6502a

A workout partner if I'm trying to go longer than 10-15 minutes (and if no partner, iPod gets me about that long before I get bored/feel like a doofus/get pumped to get some actual workout with weights). Usually just do 15-30 minutes per workout, focusing on weights though...

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

This is my cardio gym, so I have a reward after the work-out. I am motivated by fear!:eek:

[​IMG]

reward::D

[​IMG]

12. jono_3 macrumors regular

go jogging outside sometimes instead on just on the treadmill, itll help you keep focused when your inside. and DONT WATCH THE TIMER!!!

13. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

14. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I use my video iPod at the gym while I am on the elliptical machine. I know, I am a pansy and should be using the treadmill or be running outside, especially in this beautiful weather. I download my TV shows (mainly 3lbs, Family Guy, and documentaries) and watch them while I do my cardio. It's a lot more bearable than just music alone, but everyone's different.

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

At gym I usually listen to my Ipod and sing along with the song in my head

16. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

What keeps me going?
    My big, fat gut. Just looking at it makes me want to run away...

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I either listen to my iPod and watch a sports game on one of the TVs or listen and watch a sports game. Depends on what sport and who is playing.

18. Poopface Morty macrumors regular

Poopface Morty

The impending 10k I signed up for at the end of July is keeping me going. Try some HIIT though, that'll really make you want to find a reason to keep going, before you quit from puking. ;)

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nothing like Fartleking through the forest. :) :cool: Intervals are a whole, new level though.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

We have a stationary bicycle situated in the living room, well within range of the plasma, so I'll either watch something on that (usually something off the DVR) or I'll do some light reading (Sports Illustrated, US News and World Report, Newsweek, ESPN the Magazine, etc.). With a distraction, the thirty or so minutes I spend riding flies by...

21. Fredo521 macrumors member

I use my ipod when I'm lifting, but since I swim, I can't bring my ipod underwater. So I have to go without it :(

22. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Can't?

Oh but you can.

23. Fredo521 macrumors member

Oh wow, thanks man! $80 is pretty steep though, but they better make one for the iPhone :eek:

24. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Go with a nano- they're only 40 bucks :p .

25. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Masochist?

Just wondering :)